Manufacturing Mokume Gane Jewelry
Today, mokume gane jewelry is growing in popularity and this article covers the details related to the manufacturing process, ring liners.
This mokume gane 9 millimeter wedding band contains 14-karat palladium white and sterling silver. It is a comfort fit wedding band with 18-karat yellow gold millgrain rails and a liner. It was designed and produced by James Binnion of James Binnion Metal Arts, LLC in Bellingham, WA.Mokume gane translated from Japanese means “wood eye metal”. This rare metal lamination process was developed and used by Japanese craftsmen in the 17th century for the adornment of samurai swords. and rails, settings, servicing and quality issues.
Mokume Gane Jewelry Service Considerations
Like most jewelry products, mokume gane jewelry may require sizing and alteration to meet customer’s special requests. Here’s a quick guide to handling mokume gane for the retailer:
- Sizing – Binnion Metal Arts offers sizing to retailers carrying his products. The ring sizing is accomplished through compression and expansion to fulfill the sizing requirements. Since ring sizing gauges and ring mandrels differ, Binnion provides brass sizing blanks marked with the ring sizes for his customers. They are calibrated to Binnion’s studio mandrels for precise sizing results. By performing the ring sizing through expansion and contraction, the pattern remains consistent around the ring.
- Custom Orders – Binnion accepts custom orders for his mokume gane jewelry. He creates and provides CAD (Computer Aided Design) images to his customers for easy viewing of the custom designs.
- Finishes – Binnion Metal Arts produces several finishes on their mokume gane jewelry. Jewelers can easily reapply the finishes after wear or they can be returned to Binnion’s studio for refinishing.
- Gemstones and Settings – Gemstones and settings can be added by jewelers using standard soldering and setting techniques. Flush setting can be done in the mokume gane as well as soldering for settings.
- Display – With daily handling (set up and take down of displays) mokume gane jewelry will need to be periodically cleaned. Binnion provides easy cleaning instructions or offers to clean the products free of charge.