Re: [Orchid] Soldering small accents

Mlou Brubaker Tuesday, May 01, 2012

    I think that you have been unnecessarily cautious in your choice of
    solders. I use medium solder for multiple joints on the same piece,
    since to re-melt it takes just a bit of a higher temperature than to
    melt it the first time. I will start out with hard, then do joints
    with medium, and maybe finish up with easy for the last thing, if it
    is appropriate for that particular joint. I never use extra easy at
    all. It's all about having a good torch, and good torch control. I
    remember being told that I must use progressively lower-melting
    solders as a beginner, but it just isn't true. Dump the extra-easy;
    it is not a very good color match, and doesn't always hold as well.
    Your quality will go up. I hate to mention this, but as a beginner I
    accidently melted many things. It is part of the learning curve. If
    it were easy, anyone could do it! Keep practicing and use more
    medium solder. (Some people use all hard solder.) Really!

M'lou Brubaker
Minnesota, USA