Re: [Orchid] [4Sale] Rail anvils

James Binnion Saturday, February 18, 2012
========[ Invite a Friend -  ]========

>     Maybe

    It is possible to make an anvil shaped object (ASO) from railroad
    rail. The problem is that it will not function as an anvil. Anvils
    have a hardened face to allow for the proper rebound when striking
    work on the anvil and keeping it from being dented by the occasional
    missed blow. Rail is a work hardening steel that forms a hardened
    face from the work the rail car wheels impart to the rail by rolling
    over it. To grind, or machine the rail to look like an anvil removes
    that hard case and leaves a soft surface. So while a rail ASO might
    be slightly better than the cheap Asian cast iron ASO's that are
    found in places like Harbor Freight it is still an ASO.

James Binnion
James Binnion Metal Arts