Re: [Orchid] State of casted rings?

joy kruse Sunday, May 01, 2011

>     They are also have less tensile strength than annealed wrought
>     silver. The crystal structure is large and dendritic there also
>     can be porosity that makes sections

    Thanks so much. This is what I was wondering. I stretched a ring on
    my ring stretcher and I wanted to see how far I could push it. It
    cracked and seemed more porous than what I am tradationally use to.
    It had almost no resistance and then it cracked. With my forged
    rings they seem to have resistance you can feel right away even if
    annealed. It is just a slight difference in 'feeling' the metal
    stretch. (Does that make any sense?) I will tumble all of these
    rings and I am assuming that will work harden them slightly and
    reduce some of that porosity but is it ever the same as a forged
    ring?

    Thanks again. I love science so I always want to know what is going
    on that I can't 'see.'

joy