Re: [Orchid] Enameling on Bronze

Thackeray Taylor Tuesday, February 13, 2007
========[ Invite a Friend -  ]========

Dear Jackie, All,

>     Rio Grande has a casting grain called Ancient Bronze (order
>     #706-051), that contains no zinc. I am taking classes now in
>     casting and after discussion with my teacher, am planning to order
>     it and see if it will work with enameling. = Perhaps Rio Grande
>     could shed some light on this since they now carry enameling
>     products

    Rio's enameling line is still relatively new and as of yet we have
    not had an opportunity to test our enamels on many of the various
    alloys. Ancient bronze contains 90% Copper and 10% Tin, it has no
    Zinc content and that should make enameling easier. I have done some
    research and the only info regarding enameling alloys with a Tin
    content are also for bronze with a Zinc content, so I would say it
    would be a safe bet to give it a try, keeping in mind that some
    experimentation may be necessary. Follow best enameling practice for
    bronze with a Zinc content and you should be fine.

Hope this helps,

Thackeray Taylor
Rio Grande Technical Support
505-839-3000 ex 13903