Best torch for basement studio

Risk Analysis and propane willies

Can I suggest that everyone take a deep breath and think Risk
Analysis?

First; Not withstanding the above, since Politicians and similar
critters who pass laws usually know little about Risks etc. I suggest
you do the following

CONTACT THE LOCAL LEGAL AUTHORITY AND FIND OUT WHAT THE LOCAL LAWS
ARE !!! (preferably get in writing and file it away for
further reference if needed. All the opinions and facts in the world
are useless when you run afoul of fire, building and safety codes.

Then check with your insurance agent (and again preferably get it in
writing) what your insurance will permit and under what conditions.
Insurance companies love not paying claims and every policy has a
little clause that says if the loss was due in all or part to the
breaking of a law then it is not covered. Then in 3 point fine print
there will be all kinds of other exclusions…

Now A true story !

Regarding Propane Oh my god My in laws must be in imminent danger of
being blown to kingdom come they have a MONSTER ( 3 1/2 feet around
and 5 feet high) tank outside their house and there is a copper pipe
that runs in trough the foundation wall and then trough the basement
before coming back up to the first floor for their stove, fireplace
insert and down to the basement for the Hot water tank. All with
valves joints and other leak possible breaks in the tubing !! My god
! If the propane leaks and goes down to the pilot light it will
EXPLODE !!

Yes all true, But also installed according to the fire codes in
effect here in the province of Quebec Canada, inspected by 3
different people (Fire inspector, Propane supplier and Insurance
inspector) and approved by all 3 and completely legal. (Actually
there was a 4th inspector, Me, but I don’t count.)

Living way out in the country where the electrical grid is unreliable
and we do get -40 temperatures in the winter Propane is the retired
persons best friend. Add a small generator for reading lights and TV
and who needs hydro power My in laws are in their advanced 80’s and
hauling in wood is no longer an option for them hence the propane
fireplace insert.

The only non required (in our area) option I would suggest is a
propane detector. It looks like a smoke detector but is installed
near the floor and emits a deafening alarm signal well before the
concentration reaches the LEL. (This comes under #4 below)

To belabor the point.

1- find out what is legal

2- Find out what is insurable

3- Find out what can you afford and what is the pro’s and con’s of
this for the job that you want to do

4- Risk analysis and how do we reduce the risk to at least
acceptable levels and preferably to absolute minimum.

5- Document the above.

The main reason that Propane and other LNG type products are not
allowed to be stored indoors is the risk of a BLEVE and the
secondary explosion thereof if a tank is cooked in a fire until the
metal fails, not because it is flammable or heavier than air. For
additional info for those who are too busy to Google to find the
definition of a bleve… Boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion - Wikipedia

LOL I learned something (LOL a new acronym for BLEVE) and someone
has a sense of humor…

BLEVE is also an off-color backronym for Blast Leveling Everything
Very Effectively.

Also a cross reference there mentions a link to one of the most
infamous and largest civilian BLEVE’s that has occurred, at Kingman
AZ. http://azkrmc.com/education/history/stockton1.htm ( the Bleve
part is 1/2 way down.

Military type deliberate BLEVEs are called fuel/ air explosions and
are the largest non-nuclear explosives in their armory

Enjoy your job / hobby / art now that you know what you are doing.

Kay