Name that bump

Hello Fellow Orchidians,

A little over two years ago there was a discussion about shop
injuries including the following:

While rounding off a prong with a cup bur, I slipped and jammed the
bur into the end of my thumb. Some blood, but not too serious of an
injury. It healed over, but developed into a persistent sore knot
under the skin. I had the knot surgically removed after about a
year or so.
http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/archive/200310/msg01269.htm

It turns out I’ve managed to do more or less the same thing by
accidentally drilling into the tip of my right index finger. Of
course I managed to hit a nerve but it healed and scarred over
quickly. No problem at first but I have a habit of using my right
index finger a lot so now I’ve got a ball of scar tissue under the
skin the size of a small pea and it’s becoming a real bother.

Does anyone know the name of that condition? Specifically, that hard
ball of scar tissue that develops over the original injury? This
thing needs some medical attention and I’d like to know what I’m
dealing with before I approach a non-English speaking doctor about
it.

Cheers,
Trevor F.
in The City of Light
Visit TouchMetal.com at http://www.touchmetal.com

Hi Trevor,

Does anyone know the name of that condition? Specifically, that
hard ball of scar tissue that develops over the original injury?

The condition you are probably looking for is called “keloid” It is
common, and has to do with an over production of collagen during the
healing process. You can check it out at:
Keloid and Hypertrophic Scar: Background, Pathophysiology, Etiology I recently got one after
a small surgery. Doc said that some get it only in one area of the
body. Lucky me, they just happened to find the one spot… :slight_smile:

Lisa,(Ok, now to make some sterling pieces for the show…I don’t
wanna…I like the 22k too much dang it!) Topanga, CA USA

Trevor -

The bump might be a keloid - as the write up said - a scar that
doesn’t know when to stop… see here

Ivy S. Fasko
Contemporary Handcrafted Jewelry
http://www.ivysfasko.com

Hello Lisa

The condition you are probably looking for is called "keloid" It is
common, and has to do with an over production of collagen during the
healing process. You can check it out at:
http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic205.htm

Yes indeed, that sounds like it all right. Very helpful reference,
thank you.

Cheers,
Trevor F.
in The City of Light
Visit TouchMetal.com at http://www.touchmetal.com

PS. Jesse, tried to email you a couple times but
it kept getting bounced by some overzealous spam
filter along the way. Thanks for your email
and suggestions.

Hi Trevor,

You’ve been so kind in answering some of my questions, and I think I
will be of some help, but at the moment I’m here in Bournemouth
U.K., but will be in Turkiye on the 11TH of March, and I have many
surgent friends over there, if it is not urgent, I will ask them
about your concern.

Best Regards,
ekrem.