Dimond trim saw lubricant

Dear Orchids:

I am looking for the best lubricant to use in my 6" trim saw. My
brother gave it to me a few years ago and now I have some use for
it. Also one other question?

Where can I get on the correct R.P.M.for a faceting
machine for faceting semi precious and precious stones.

Yours:
Billy S. Bates
royalminiatures.com
GOD BLESS THE PEOPLE IN THE EARTHQUAKE AREA.

I am looking for the best lubricant to use in my 6" trim saw.

I would imagine that you would probably only use water for sawing
gemstone material. That is what use here in Brasil - in copious
quantities.

Where can I get on the correct R.P.M.for a faceting
machine for faceting semi precious and precious stones.

You should probably subscribe to one or more of the several
facetting and lapidary discussion lists:

  1. United States Faceters Guild. http://www.usfacetersguild.org/ To
    subscribe: usfgfaceterslist-subscribe@yahoogroups.com a pretty
    technical discusion group. Many experts on this one

  2. LAPIDARY ARTS and FACETERS DIGEST Published about once a week,
    except holidays from Spur,Texas POST TO EITHER LINK BELOW:
    lapidary@caprock-spur.com faceters@caprock-spur.com

  3. “Ahlstedt’s Professional Faceting” digest Despite it’s name, it is
    more oriented to helping new facetters To interact with the list
    website - simply go to: Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos
    To subscribe from this group, send an email to:
    PaulAhlstedt-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Best regards,
Robert Lowe
Lowe Associates - Brasil
Gemstones, Rough, Specimens
Tucson - February 2 - 7, 2005 - GJX # 205
e-fax: 1-240-757-6022
e-mail: USA < robertplowejr@juno.com >
e-mail: Brasil < @Robert_P_Lowe_Jr1 >

   I would imagine that you would probably only use water for
sawing gemstone material. That is what use here in Brasil - in
copious quantities.

The “best” lubricant is contingent on the material which you cut.

If you are cutting hard/tough material such as agate or jasper,
water is not the optimum, even with additives. You will burn out
sawblades prematurely, which is expensive as well as inconvenient.
For such tough materials, IMO, you would be well advised to use an
oil-based lubricant such as Almeg oil.

If you are cutting material which is porous and which will be
stained by oil, e.g., turquoise or variscite, you will want to use
water as a lubricant.

For stones which will not stain but which are not particularly hard
or tough, either oil or water-based will do. If you do use water,
you would be well-advised to use an additive to prevent rust and
increase lubricity.

Lee Einer
Dos Manos Jewelry
http://www.dosmanosjewelry.com

. . . If you do use water, you would be well-advised to use an
additive to prevent rust . . .

rusting sawblades lose their diamonds

Pam Chott
www.songofthephoenix.com