Scratches polishing with 3m wheels

I’ve had good luck previously using my 3m radial discs to polish my
work after sanding, but it isn’t working now. I am getting scratches
and gouges. I start with sanding then I go through the box with the
polishing wheels and yuck! The strange thing is this worked before on
the exact same kinds of pieces. Am I running them too fast or too
slow, pressing too hard, or what? The pieces are small flat sterling
leaves cut out from sheet.

Tracey
http://www.fireflyjewelrydesign.com

Continue from:

Tracey,

   I've had good luck previously using my 3m radial discs to
polish my work after sanding, but it isn't working now. I am
getting scratches and gouges.

Are you cleaning the pieces after you sand them? If not you may be
transferring small abrasive particles to the 3M discs.

Greg DeMark
email: greg@demarkjewelry.com
Website: www.demarkjewelry.com
Custom Jewelry - Handmade Jewelry - Antique Jewelry

I've had good luck previously using my 3m radial discs to polish
my work after sanding, but it isn't working now.

are your radial disks getting a bit worn? Especially if you use them
with more than slight pressure, they can get “dulled”. Properly,
only the tips of the bristles should contact the work. If you press
harder, it works at first, but the bristles are then wearing down on
the flat sides of the bristles, not the tips. That makes them thinner
and reduces their effectiveness.

On the other hand, if you’re having these reduced results using new
bristle disks when new ones before worked, I’d suggest looking at
whether the metal is annealed the same way, and whether whatever
steps you take before and after the bristle disks is the same.

Peter

Tips on using Radial Bristle Disks

While researching “Making the Most of Your Flex Shaft”, I have had
some time to investigate 3M’s Radial Bristle Disks.

A few tips I have learned are:

  • Bristle disks like the company of others. They are lonely on
    their own, so have a party! Invite their friends, 3-5 is a good
    party crowd.

  • High speeds - not slow. High speed is the key here. You want to
    press your foot pedal about 3/4 to maximize their use.

  • Delicate touch, no pressure. Are you hard with your tools? Does
    your toothbrush bristles look like they are scattering in arcs to
    points unknown? Ah, if so, you are a person that likes to put on the
    pressure. Back off a bit. Alternatively, if you change your
    toothbrush every six months because it has no wear or tear, a bit
    more elbow grease will only help.

  • Make sure they are lined up in the right direction. They should
    all bend in a counter-clockwise direction.

  • No bristles, no action. They do wear out…eventually, but it
    certainly depends on how many bristles are left to do the job.

-k

Karen Christians
M E T A L W E R X
50 Guinan St.
Waltham, MA 02451
Ph. 781/891-3854 Fax 3857
http://www.metalwerx.com/
Jewelry/Metalarts School & Cooperative Studio