Learning about the History of Jewelry

I am interested in learning more about the history of jewelry. I have
read many books on the subject but would like to attend a class or
workshop that would give me a broad background on the Jewelry of
other eras. Can you recommend a workshop or class for me?

Thanks

Hello Mary,

My College is going to be offering History of adornment ( jewelery
history ) this fall because our studio is going to be moved to a new
and better location. Its College of DuPage in Glenn Ellyn,IL. The
teacher is amazing, i have taken her Intro Fabrication course a few
years back and am currently in her lost wax casting class. Might be
something your interested in if you are of course in the DuPage
county or Chicago land area.

Michael

Where are you located? Here at the University of South Florida in
Tampa they have a wonderful two month class on jewelry history. The
instructor is very knowledgeable and history is one of her major
studies.

Eva

Hi Mary, I am from India and the school where I teach has very
recently started the course on History of Jewelry. It is short
course basically designed to give an overview on how the culture,
social, political, economic and other such aspects influence jewelry
as well. I am sure you would like the course.

Since you have already read, I wish I could help you in some way.
The one possibility that I can think of is that I send you the basic
format of how are course is structured. On that basis if you then do
the reading it might give you a direction.

Let me know. take care.
Hema

Hi –

A friend forwarded to me your inquiry about a course in the history
of jewelry – because I teach just such a course. I don’t know
where you live but I’m in the Greater Washington, D.C., area. If
you’re anywhere near here and if you’re interested, send word and
I’ll send more details.

Cheers, Brenda Forman

The Revere Academy in San Francisco, California, is offering a two
day class on April 16 and 17. The History of Jewelry will be taught
by Christie Romero, a prominent jewelry historian who wrote Warmans
Jewelry, a fully illustrated guide to 18th, 19th, and 20th century
fine and costume jewelry. The first day covers the history of
goldsmithing and jewelry making from ancient times to the present.
The second day is an overview of jewelry styles for the past 250
years. Both days are filled with images. For more info:

http://revereacademy.com/symposium/2005/symposiumdescriptions.html

Alan Revere - Director
Revere Academy of Jewelry Arts, Inc.
760 Market Street
Suite 900
San Francisco, California 94102
USA
tel: 415-391-4179
fax: 415-391-7570

Hi Brenda,

I am in the D.C. area and I would love to learn more about the class
you offer. You can contact me off line if you prefer:
@Baum_Jan

Thanks,
Jan Baum

Jewelry History Education - (European Dark Ages)

I’ve seen a few posts on this subject lately, and especially since
Mike O’toole introduced himself yesterday and mentioned that
“Ancient/medieval/early rennaissance pieces from Northern Europe get
“my motor running” so to speak.” I thought I for a change might have
something to offer the group. As you know, the “Dark Ages”
(roughly 6th to 9th centuries) was a rather bleak time for most of
Europe. The exception to much of the plummeting art world at the
time was Ireland and certain other Celtic/Viking strongholds where
monks pretty much isolated themselves in pretty, very hard to reach
round towers. Here, the decorative arts flourished.

I got to tour the National Museum of Ireland “Collin’s Barracks”
display of dark age celtic goldsmithing this last summer, and it was
incredible. For those of you who are interested in seeing the items
but can’t quite justify the cost of traveling over there, there is an
incredible book on the subject called “Work of Angels: Masterpieces
of Celtic Metalwork, 6th to 9th Centuries” by Susan Youngs. It’s
out of print, but you can still find used copies. I got one for about
$45.00 (a steal) after diligently searching Ebay, amazon, alibris,
and half.com. I sold it to a friend who was a little more ecstatic
about it then I was, since she didn’t get to see the stuff in person.

Work of Angels: Masterpieces of Celtic Metalwork, 6th to 9th Centuries
By Susan Youngs

Media: Paperback
Manufacturer : British Museum Press
Release data : 1989

Hugs,
Tina McDonald
@tlmcd
.

The Merovingians had a some good metalwork going as well.
Check out “From Attila to Charlemagne”