Foredom repair

Hi all, I have a Foredom Series R which lately started throwing
sparks out the top. I called Foredom and they said it needed a new
armature, which they sent me. I can’t figure out how to get the old
one out though! Can anyone pass on any ideas or help? I really
appreciate it!

Thanks so much,
Mary Ferrulli Barker

Hi Mary Ferrulli Barker,

To remove the armature in a Foredom R motor, remove sheath and
shaft, remove motor brush caps and brushes, remove the two screws
on the motor front end (the end that the shaft and sheath were
attached), pull motor front end off then remove the armature. To
install new armature be careful to not touch the commutator (smooth
copper part) and if you do you can clean finger dirt off with
alcohol and a lint free cloth. Add a drop of oil to the shaft ends
near the spacers ONLY if it is the older sleeve bearing version, the
newer ball bearing version will have new bearings and does not
require oil. Install armature and reassemble the motor. Install NEW
brushes. Run the motor at low speed for a few minutes to “seat the
new brushes in”. Call us if you have questions.

John Cranor, The Jewelry Equipment Dr. 719-527-1531

Hi, In cleaning some things from my late dad’s workshop I found an
old foredom. It runs but gives off that ‘burning motor’ smell. Is it
worth having a repairman look at it? And if so, who do I take it to
in Toronto, Canada?

I also have his old American jeweler’s lathe and would like to learn
how to use it. Is there a good beginners book for using a small
lathe to make components and clasps?

Laurie
http://www.designerbeads.com

Laurie;

For Foredom repair in Toronto try ORKO Design Corp, they are located
in downtown Toronto, tel: 416.362.2757 I have never used them, but
they are an authorized Foredom dealer and Service Repair Centre,
plus sell rebuilt models.

As for books on using a small lathe try www.sherline.com They
manufacture and sell small hobby lathes and mills, but also offer
books which are specifically for their products, but should be of a
general nature that may assist you.

Regards,
Richard
DUBIEL DESIGN STUDIO
Tel: 905.566.0950
Fax: 905.290.9398
@Dubiel_Design_Studio

..I found an old foredom. Is it worth having a repairman look at
it? And if so, who do I take it to...

It might be worth it. I think these things never die. It’s not a
highly complex or delicate machine; it’s a motor and a drive shaft.

Actually, I have an old Foredom that I use and since the book
Karen’s working on won’t be out for a while, is there anyone in the
New England area who can recondition my tool (i.e., take it apart,
clean it, and replace any worn bits)?

Lacking a local repair source, I might be willing to ship it
somewhere, but that might have to wait until after I get my second.

Thanks,
Christine in Littleton, Massachusetts

For some reason Orchid has not been posting my answer to the
Foredome Repair question. So I am sending it to you and others
directly. Your flexshaft is repairable, new armature, brushes and
here is how to change armature.

  1. Remove hand piece.

  2. Loosen the screw (at base of the gray part that connects the
    motor to flexible shaft) to remove the black flexible shaft cover.
    You do not have to take the sheath all the way off. Watch out for
    all the grease on the cable.

  3. Remove the gray motor connection. NOTE: The connector has reverse
    threads, turn it clockwise to remove. This will reveal another screw
    at the end of the motor armature that the connects the cable to the
    armature.

  4. Loosen this screw at the end of the cable to remove cable from
    motor.

  5. Remove the motor brushes by removing the two black plastic cap
    screws on the sides of the motor, above the motor hanger bail
    screws.

  6. Remove the two screws at the motor base near where the motor
    connector was.

  7. Set the motor on bench upside down and carefully pull up on the
    Lower part of the motor casing. You may have to pry a little with a
    screwdriver to loosen the two halves of the motor. NOTE: There is a
    little round leaf spring at the brushes end of the armature,
    removing the armature with the motor sitting on the bench should
    prevent the loss of the spring. Also look at how the spring sits in
    the motor housing so you can put it back correctly. When looking
    into the motor the leaves point toward you.

  8. Take the lower half of motor housing with the armature in it and
    tap the end of the armature where the cable attached to it to
    separate armature from housing. This will probably cause a pile of
    graphite motor dust to appear on you and the bench. (Go back to step
    1 and put newspaper under motor while you are working on it.)

  9. Take the leaf spring out of the upper part of motor and clean the
    dust out of the motor housing parts. I use compressed air.

  10. Replace the leaf spring.

  11. Insert new armature into upper part of motor housing. (Remove
    plastic cover from new armature. I had a student try to insert
    armature without doing this.)

  12. Set lower part of motor housing onto armature. Line up the two
    small tabs where the two halves come together and the screw holes
    should line up.

  13. Replace the two long screws. Tighten them.

  14. Replace the motor brushes, preferably new ones.

  15. Reconnect flexible shaft to armature.

  16. Replace motor connector, remember reverse threads,
    counterclockwise to tighten.

  17. Replace flexible shaft cover.

  18. Reconnect to control and turn on.

HAVE FUN

Continue from:

Try Roman Iwananiac at 406 889 5010. Think he still is in business.
When he was situated in Berkeley, he repaired equipment and
distributed reconditioned tools. He’s a real good guy.

rp leaf

Continue from:

 Try Roman Iwananiac  at 406 889 5010. Think he still is in
business. When he was situated in Berkeley, he repaired equipment
and distributed reconditioned tools. He's a real good guy.

No no no!!

Roman is not in business repairing handpieces anymore. I sent him
one apparently in a two day window when he said he was taking
repairs, and when it arrived he was no longer accepting repairs.
Three plus months and 5 very upsetting phone calls later, I received
my handpiece back in the mail. I make it a point to not be negative,
but I would not recommend sending anything to him without making
absolutely sure he is accepting repairs.

Hope this helps,
Mary Linford