The contractors are coming to build my studio

The Contractors are coming !
The Contractors are coming !

Contractors are coming to bid on my studio which is added on to my
house . Not big , compact actually. 13.5 feet X 9 feet , I am having a
new electrical sub box 100 amp 30 service installed This will supply
the studio as well as a large garage adjacent. The garage will
accommodate the larger lapidary equipment and whatever adventures in
Art metal I conjure up.

I have plotted how I want it laid out with 3 windows ( 9 feet ) and
two doors. Window Air conditioner to keep the dirt from my living
environment. Provisions for ducting dust and fumes out. And ducted
make up air to replace it.

The sink will be vented and cabinets above will be adjustable . GFI
electrical below.

I need to know how wide a cabinet to make for my casting machines . I
have a Vic 9 vacuum and a Vertical Platinum casting machine.

My first question is " Do I need to make provisions for a flat
conventional casting machine to accomplish what I may not be able to
do with the Vertical machine ? " If so, how wide a top should I plan
for ? 30 in. ?

I might need to change to a horizontal centrifugal casting machine. I
know nothing of using the vertical machine, I bought it used. If
anyone has any expertise on these, I would be glad for the advice. I
have found that the metal tire cover from a conversion van looks to
make a nice splash shield for it.

The oven and controller will be over the casting table. It will be
vented with make up air provided. I intend to have a small dry sink
with a canister vacuum cleaner and HEPA filter underneath to catch
investment spillage . The canister vacuum cleaner will be vented to a
common external exhaust . The air should be clean by then.

Through one door - The old master bedroom 12 X 14 feet , is where my
professional library Wax bench, Gemology bench, and computer are now,
will stay the same . Through the other door is a large secured
enclosed garage. The other electrical wiring will be to this.

On the bright side, The place is paid for and my former tenants did
not do EXCESSIVE damage while I had it rented out.

Take this to heart, never, Never rent property to anyone who has
been on the Jerry Springer Show… ( I knew this only after the fact).

I have allocated $ 4500.00 for this work. I will keep the group
abreast of the adventure.

Am I obsessed, fixated, excessive ? Only if You ask my personal
friends.

ROBB

your shop plan sounds great. if you won’t take offense , my two
cents on your shop .first my credentials. i was born into a building
familly. since i was fourteen i have done - worked and been a
carpenter/contractor (44 yrs now). it’s what puts bread on my table
nowadays (much to dads regret). jewelery is now my hobby i quit doing
it full time about 12 years ago.

First even out your dimensions to two foot increments. Most all
lumber in the usa is sold by the two foot so you’ll pay in two foot
increments even if you don’t use the lumber. so 14x10 or 12x8 etc.
etc. would be a happier number for both maximum efficiency and any
"green" attitude you may have.

i don’t know what part of the country or even what country you live
in so the pricing i refer to is for the upper east coast u.s.a.
square footage price ->whole building <- ie: footing/foundation
framing -roof-siding -wiring -insulation-finished floor-
drywall-paint . it should be at or around $80-$110 a square foot.
this is dependent on plumbing and heat that you may or may not need .

With the contractor , make sure you get signed bid proposals and
full written contracts. be aware that any additions to housing in the
us needs building permits and inspections. any contractor that says
different is usually a hack.Most states require licences to build ,
make sure they have one. check his insurance paperwork . any injuries
on the job at your property become your responsibility if the
contractor or sub is under insured. Above all ask for references and
if you can see work they’ve done. the nicest truck doesn’t count as a
reference . :slight_smile:

Lastly have set payment sceduals for the work and have start and
finish dates. in my state that’s the law. Here’s an example of what
we used on a recent job.

On contract #080

We propose hereby to furnish all material and labor-complete and in
accords with above specifications, for the sum of thousand dollars
($ 000.00,).

Start date: / 200_ / finish date / 200_ /

Accurate Construction Conn. license # 00573434
CONTRACT #080

Payment to be made as follows:

$ 000.00, ten days before job start,

$ 000.00, upon the majority completion and passed inspection of ,
excavation and cement foundation/crawl space

$ 000.00, upon the majority completion, rough framing includes sub-
floor, framed interior/exterior walls and rafters/roof sheathing

$ 000.00, upon the completion of the roof

$ 000.00, upon the majority completion of, windows and exterior
doors installed

$ 000.00, upon the majority completion of, all siding on addition

$ 000.00, upon the majority completion and passed inspection of

$ 000.00, upon the majority completion and passed inspection of,
electrical work

$ 000.00, upon the majority completion and passed inspection of ,
insulation work

$ 000.00, upon the majority completion of sheetrock installed and
taped

$ 000.00, upon the majority completion of all interior trim , doors,
and paint

$ 000.00, upon the completion of carpet installation

TOTAL CONSTRUCTION PRICE $,000.00

have a
great day dave

Continue from:
https://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/archive/200409/msg00795.htm

First, Thank All of You for the help I have been offered.

The work being done is a continuation of an older interest,
lapidary. I am forced to use such space as my property constraints
will allow. I stopped while I moved away to attend school and look
for work in the Metroplex ( DFW ).

The rough electrical are in place. I am over wiring the studio as it
will be very difficult for me to go in and change things afterward. I
looked in my catalogs and saw nothing of interest using more than 110
volts and 220 volts / 20 amp service. More expansion is available in
the adjacent enclosed double garage.

A GFI circuit breaker is provided in the new 100 amp. sub panel . I
am installing circuits which may not be used for some time. and also
making provisions for lighting in the same manner. By changing how
the circuits are tied together, I expect to have a high degree of
flexibility . Remember, I worked in industry.

I have laid out several triangle areas in which I do not need to get
out of my chair to switch on lighting, power or ventilation.

I have re wired, re plumbed my house and done other improvements
under home owner permits. I have a licensed electrician to oversee
and inspect my work as well as do the more demanding jobs.

My work will meet or exceed code. I do not cut corners. I just can
not perform heavy work or work long periods. So contractors install
the plywood sheathing and the fire resistant heavy sheetrock. I work
slowly and take breaks frequently and If I hurt, I stop for a while.

I once was a paraplegic for nearly a year. ( very bad accident ) I
learned " First you walk on your will, then You walk on Your legs."

This studio will hold benches, oven, casting machines, buffing area,
sink, and a 3 speed ventilation fan plus external make up air.

How many changes of air / hr. is recommended ? I am planing for 4 to
12 ( via 3 speed vent fan ). This will depend on my activities . Also
a gas and carbon monoxide detector will be provided. The air supply
is entirely independent from my household area.

These are my Golden Years

ROBB.
Retired Old Baby Boomer.