[Jewelry attractions] Rome and Florence

Hello Orchidians: I thought I sent this earlier, but perhaps it
didn’t go through.

I’m looking for jewelry and metalwork attractions in Rome and
Florence. I looked in the archives and found out about the
Goldsmiths working on the Ponte Vecchio in Florence, but that’s
about it.

I’m interested in both ancient and modern. For example, anyone know
which are the best museums to see Etruscan metalwork? I’ll be
hitting most of the major ones, but don’t want to miss some hidden
treasure.

Thanks…
Lin Lahlum

An Etruscan Jewelry Exhibit is coming to Oklahoma in 2004.
http://www.vaticanexhibit.org/default2.asp

Rome:

Great Etruscan exhibit at Villa Giulia National Museum
http://www.roma2000.it/zmusei.html
http://www.ticketeria.it/villagiulia-eng.asp

Vatican has an Etruscan museum, also jewelry and St. Peter’s
Treasury. http://www.christusrex.org/www1/vaticano/ET1-Etrusco.html

In Campo de Fiori on Sunday is a Flea Market that may have some old
jewelry pieces. David Renka is an artist in Rome that does coins and
medals. Coins and Medals: David Renka

Jewelry school in Rome
http://free.rmnet.it/marcoaurelio/salkk/index.html

Alternatives, a contemporary jewelry gallery in the Spanish Steps
and Pantheon area. http://www.alternatives.it/

Traveling between Rome and Florence stop in Arezzo. Fioa is Italy’s
jewelry business and factory equipment supplier.
http://www.fioainternational.com/

Largest gold jewelry factory in Italy. (maybe the world) Uno-A-Erre
http://www.unoaerre.it/index_swf.htm

Many smaller jewelery factories and artists in Arezzo. Some listed
here:
http://travel.discovery.com/destinations/fodors/tuscany/shopping_2036
9_1.html

If you are in Arezzo first weekend of the month there is a huge
antique fair that fills the streets of most of the old part of the
city center. Arezzo

Good riboletta, ravoli tartufo and rabbit at Trattoria il Saraceno.

Florence: http://english.firenze.net/groups/6/51/

Etruscan work at the Archaeological Museum Ponte Vecchio, full of
jewelry shops Pitti Palace has a silver museum along with other art
exhibits. http://www.arca.net/db/musei/silver.htm

Further down the street from the Ponte Vecchio past the Pitti Palace
is, MUSEO ZOOLOGICO “LA SPECOLA” with incredible anatomical wax work:
http://www.specola.unifi.it/cere/default-e.htm

Across the street from the Pitti may still be a small museum/gallery
that a couple years ago was a Salavador Dali exhibit with some of his
bronzes. Strozzi Palace sometimes has jewelry exhibitions. Check out
their bookstore for catalogs of their past exhibitions. Science museum
has great old science tools and Galileo’s middle finger reliquary.
Possibly a comment to what the church did to him?
http://galileo.imss.firenze.it/

Museo dell’Opera del Duomo has Ghiberti’s Baptismal Doors,
Donatello’s Magdelen (wood), much more. Climb up into Brunelleschi’s
dome of Florence Cathedral. Worth it, take water. National Museum of
the Bargello has Cellini, Donatello, Ghiberti sculpture and low
relief work. Check the door, gate and lock Ironwork details. Some
chasing/repousse on second floor.
http://www.arca.net/db/musei/bargello.htm

Schools with contacts that may be able to give you current galleries
people working in Florence: http://www.alchimia.it/
http://metallo-nobile.org/
http://www.artiorafe.it/site/default1024.htm
http://www.studyabroad-florence.com/index.htm

HAVE FUN and eat lots of gelato.

Lin, Years ago, my sister and I visited a museum in Rome that was a
converted villa. It housed Etruscan art including some of those
fabulous granulated pieces you always see in large coffee table
jewelry books. You might remember the one with the rows of tiny
little rams.

The pieces were in cases that allowed the viewer to get within a
foot of them. I don’t remember the name, but I’m sure you can find it
in tour books.

Have a fabulous trip.
Donna Shimazu

Come in my town, Arezzo (80km at the south of Florence)! There is a
pretty Etruscan museum. Over all, Arezzo is one of the major jewelry
centers in the world (about 1000 companies in the jewerly business).

http://www.davidrenka.com/LeOpere/Monete/CoinsandMedals.html