Experience with Rhino3d WIP for Mac

Has anyone out in Orchid land tried this program yet? I’m a
beginner, and like what I’ve figured out so far, but have the usual
learning curve frustrations.

I use Matrix which uses rhino as a base. I can open our finished
files and rhino will open and show them. Matrix works much like rhino
but with jewelry in mind. What do you want to know. Curves are any
lines and they can have profiles put on them and swept to give a skin
to the object you are making. There are solids and pipes and
surfaces. Matrix would help you immensely just cause there are gems
in there and profiles for ring shanks and cutters. You name it. SD

In my opinion, Rhino in Windows is the best choice to learn and use
Rhino on for the long run. There are more tutorial authors to choose
from not to mention the choices and diversity of plug-ins like
grasshopper and panelingtools etc. which you will use in the future.
It is worth the cost of a windows machine solely dedicated to Rhino.
There are some commands/ key strokes that are different in Apple
vrs. Windows.

This is not a Mac vrs. Windows machine question. It is a question of
program application, utility, versatility and diversity. Hope this
helps you decide.

I hate to say “me too”, but yeah. I’m running Rhino 5, feeding a CAD
program, and I went out and bought a PC, just to run it.

I’ve had Macs or Apples going back to the 2e, and I still ended up
getting a dedicated PC for CAD work. I did fuss around with the Mac
build of rhino4, a few years back, and it doesn’t look like they’ve
made much progress with it in the meantime. The PC version is
definitely where their energy is going.

Regards,
Brian

I’ve watched several tutorials, all using the Windows’ based Rhino
(plus other layers of software, such as Matrix), and from those,
been able to figure and find the commands I wanted to use in this
current Rhino WIP for Mac users. The videos out there advertising
the Matrix program sure look appealing. Wow. They make it look like
all you do is point and click. But, anyway, I just wanted to know if
anyone out there is trying the WIP version for Mac yet.

I don’t know if it would work but I could try saving a gem as an stl
and emailing it to you and you can open it in rhino. Then you could
3D shrink or enlarge it to use. You could save them. Let me know of
you want to try that

I don't know if it would work but I could try saving a gem as an
stl and emailing it to you and you can open it in rhino. Then you
could 3D shrink or enlarge it to use. You could save them. Let me
know of you want to try that.

Do it all the time.

But, anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone out there is trying
the WIP version for Mac yet.

Yes. I watch what is new in WIP version for Mac. I have worked it on
occasion. It is Good by itself. My students find the MAc version to
be restrictive.

I have to confess I kinda missed the whole mac thing although I
think an stl is an stl so the file importing may still work for
putting gems into rhino to make it user friendly for jewelers.