Cutting a coal piece

I have an unusual request to cut a small piece of coal from a small
chunk of coal to use in a pendant. Does anyone here have any
experience with this? Any precautions or techniques you would
recommend?

Thank you in advance!
Donna W.
Huntsville, AL

I think I would get some anthracite and experiment. Coal has been
carved and made into jewelry for centuries. And have you looked at
YouTube?

Don Meixner

I use Jet in some of my pendants, bracelets, and rings. It polishes
beautifully.

Hi Donna - In Colombia, they make some beautiful coal jewelry. Have
a peek at One WOrld Jewelry. Whether they coat it or not I don’t
know. I worked in the coal industry (admittedly behind a desk and on
planes, not in the mines) and know from experience it produces dust -
don’t forget your mask.

Barbara

Find jet a hard type of coal

If it can just be rough you can hit it with a hammer and flake some
off or work your way through it with a diamond wheel (tile cutter).

make a 2 sided bezel and put a watch crystal on both sides, coal in
the middle. Put the coal in before setting the last bezel
(important):wink:

Thank you all for your help and input. I truly appreciate how
generous the members of this forum are with their knowledge and
experience. I will let you know how it goes.

Best,
Donna W
Huntsville, AL

That request didn’t come from a short fat guy with a red coat and a
long white beard, did it? If it did, be nice to him! It might be a
setup!

Dave in North Carolina where the rain clouds are following trough
with gusto. It’s hard to till mud. Wish you guys in Kansas would dry
this air out a little before you send it our way.

LOL David! If you only knew how close you were on that description!
Bahahaha!!!

Donna W
Huntsville, AL