Buying diamonds online?

I had a (almost) client contact me for a 1.50ct. "Cushion-cut"
diamond. I went to 2 diamond sources to find a stone but it had a EGL
cert. He wanted only GIA, back again I went. He told me he saw a 1.50
diamond ‘on-line.’ Could I do help him? He showed me a little
inclusion in the ‘table’ region of this online stone. I thought it
was spot on his computer screen! I got two more GIA certs. both were
$650.00 cheaper than other 2 other wholesalers (not a setter) in this
city.

His letter last night says he will buy the* $11,750.00 (USF), VS2,F
*with a GIA. cert.

…ONLINE. He wants to have that online stone & make it in 2 weeks.
duh? This morning I wrote back to him @ 6:00 a. m. saying "I frown
upon buying diamonds online. maybe clothes & books. but a
diamond?"…“You don’t have the opportunity in holding or seeing the
stone with a 10x loupe”.
.No more wasted time for him. buy-bye!
Anyone else have these situations? *Gerry *

Gerry I have had a client do that & it turned out exactly what the
certificate said. Though the price was higher. Any way that was
clients loss. When he checked at the brick & mortar he found this &
informed me. Any way I had the design made & gave him what he
wanted.

My experience.

Cheers
Umesh

Yesterday I spent a good hour tracing down a 2.00 diamond and in the
process learned the customer is “shopping” every possible source in
Seattle. We back away from these requests unless it is a known
customer. Besides, selling diamonds is not the market we have
cultivated over 40 plus years. It also crosses my mind that it makes
us vulnerable. oh paranoid me!

Oh Nooooooo!!!

We have a client that has now bought two diamonds online. Both were
nothing close to what they had been repersented as. Both were
drilled and filled. One came with an appraisal that said it was a
cushion cut. It was in fact a princess cut. Both were much lower
color and clarity than was stated by the seller. Lucky for her she
used a credit card so she had recourse.

Gerry you were so right to pass on this. And… two weeks?
Uh…let me think about this for a little bit/NO! Remember
kids, the bargain hunters will never be faithful return clients.

They will always go to the next cheapest source.

Have fun and make lots of jewelry

Jo Haemer
timothywgreen.com

Gerry, there are always suckers who are glad to buy pigs in a poke.
Good idea to reject the commission. Alma

Jo is right, the bottom feeders looking for the cheapest price are
not ever going to be repeat customers, unless you repeat being the
cheapest. That’s not how to get ahead if you plan on being in
business for any length of time.

Whether we like it or not, more and more people are getting very
comfortable buying even high-ticket items online, including
diamonds. I have found that with some people, telling them the truth
that no one can spend a few hours or even a few days surfing the web
and become an expert about diamonds, that’s why the GIA Diamond
Course takes so long and is so expensive, it just sounds like sour
grapes and doesn’t do anything to win the customer over. They firmly
believe they can become an expert in an afternoon, in fact they
believe they already are and there’s nothing you can say that’s going
to convince them otherwise.

I ask people that are price shopping me against the Internet to
carefully consider whether they are buying a diamond or a piece of
paper, because a grading report is as useful when buying a diamond
as an architectural drawing is when buying a house or as a spec sheet
is when buying a used car. Good info to have, but often not the best
deciding factor, certainly not the only factor. No one would ever
even consider buying a house or a car based solely on the price and
the supporting paperwork without checking it out personally, so how
does it make sense to buy a diamond that way? Especially from someone
you don’t know, have never met, never will meet and with whom you
have limited recourse if they turn out to be a crook.

If they do decide to get a diamond on the net and then bring it to
me to make sure they got what they paid for, I tell them we charge
$85 for an appraisal, but if they spend $1000 or more having us
create a setting for it, we’ll include an appraisal.

If they say “I don’t want an appraisal, I just want to know what it
is and what it’s worth” (huh?), I tell them that’s exactly what an
appraisal is and we’d be happy to grade it for them and tell them
what it’s worth, for $85. It’s shocking how often I hear that one.

The one that irks me the most though, is when someone says “You know
that you’re the only one I really trust when it comes to diamonds
and jewelry and I tell everyone about you. Would you take a quick
look at this diamond I bought on the Internet and tell me whether I
got a good deal or not?”

Where do people get the nerve! Or is it really possible to be that
clueless?

Dave Phelps

The last story on this reminds me of my father who was an FGA and a
customer who always told him how wonderful he was and how she
recommend him to everyone she met. And although she was known to be
very well-off she never seemed to really buy anything.

She one day came in and said she was going to the Orient(this was
still at it time when there was a lot of suspicion about the
Orient). So she asked my father how she could get the best deals
while there. Of course he tried to leader in the best directions
"however, he told her never to buy anythingoff the street and only
to go to the best places possible". When thelady got back from her
trip she came in to see my father and told him about buying a ring
and that although she had bought it off the street she was sure that
it was perfectly good. The only thing was, that there was something
written inside the ring and she just couldn’t make it out.

She asked my father to use the little loop on his glasses to look
inside the ring and tell her what it said.

He flipped the lens down and looked inside the ring turning it over
and over. She finally became so agitated that she shouted out “what
does it say, what’s it say!”.

My father continued to turn the ring and he slowly began to read out
what it said inside; "Too
Bad Joe.

I don’t think she ever came back, but of course it was no loss.