Recommendation for solder paste

So what’s the deal on solder paste? My attempts at using them is
that they spit worse than a pissed off camel. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Karen Christians

So what's the deal on solder paste? My attempts at using them is
that they spit worse than a pissed off camel.

Ok for fine chain repair otherwise give it to your enemies, and quit
pissing off your camel

I gave up trying to use them. I am attending some jewelry classes at
a university at the moment. My professor told us not to use them
because of their inconsistency, plus they have more hazardous
materials in the formula compared to the old fashioned way.

I use Rio’s very successfully most of the time. Not something to use
often, but when I need it works well. Be sure NOT to use flux with
it, as it contains its own flux. mine doesn’t spit. odd that…

Beth Wicker
Three Cats and a Dog Design Studio

I’ve been making and repairing jewelry for 36 years and have never
seen the need for solder paste.

But that’s not to say that there is no use, I just don’t know what
it is.

Please tell.

Paf Dvorak

Karen,

The most effective pastes I have found are from Beth Katz at
Non-Drying Paste & Powder Solder for Jewelers & Metalsmiths, by Unique Solutions She makes them herself in a wide
range of flow points from hards to mediums to easys. and also offers
powders too.

If you keep in mind that most pastes have flux in them, the main
reason they fail is adding too much flux. If you have prepped metal
(i. e.- a firecoat with layers of flux built up to protect the work
as one does with Cupronil or even “firescoff” although In my
experience it is a far inferior product compared to Cupronil) you
have built up layers of flux solution on clean warmed metal. After
the coating is dried and the paste is at the join or slumped onto the
areas to be joined make it a hit-and-run operation- Fast, quick and
as hot a torch as is necessary so the coating doesn’t melt down
before the paste heats up enough to flow. That’s a reason alone to
try Beth’s pastes, her ranges offer temp. options to suit most
joining problems particularly for multiple join work pieces. Medium
Hards are a good choice for many projects as they have the tensegrity
of Hard solder with the flow point below the top of medium solders so
it heats faster than the coatings/borax can liquefy completely.

The prices are reasonable and she usually has a good supply of all
the ‘grades’ in a range if not its a short back order (usually a day
or two at most).She’s easy to find and shipping is fast to most
locales. I have had to have her rush orders before to schools remote
and out-of-state from my studio, still arrived with the swiftness of
UPS!If I’m not covering your question feel free to contact me or
approach Beth- she’s usually available and accessible to discuss this
very question!..rer

Karen

I use Rio Grande’s paste solder nearly every day in my filigree work.

It is a great product and works very well.

Can’t say that I have seen it “spitting like a camel”

It is very different from sheet and wire solder, and I generally do
not generally use it on anything but filigree.

I think it would be suitable in many applications, but I have really
only tried it on my filigree pieces

Rio’s paste solder appears to be solvent based. The solvent seems to
quickly evaporate as the piece is heated, leaving behind a crusty
looking residue which then melts as the metal reaches the solder
melting point.

Is it possible that your “spitting paste solder” is water based and
spits as the water boils off?

Regards
Milt

Milt has a point. Fillagree would be a great use. Also you could let
it dry first after applying or heat it slowly and gently so it dries
before you go in to solder, that will stop the camel from spitting.

The apocalypse is near, I agree with RER. Beth makes wonderful
solders, and does it not only in silver, but all golds, and even
copper. She has sheet, wire, powdered and paste. She is lovely to
work with. her prices are reasonable and very competitive. If you are
having problems with solder, she will know what to do.

I’ve tested her paste copper solder, and will be using it soon on a
large project. I got side tracked on working on that project, but the
siren call of that copper solder is becoming overwhelming.

Aggie, typing with my 18 y/o cat in my lap.

Upon initially using solder paste I had a difficult time of it as the
stuff would sometimes work like a dream and other times just ball up
and refuse to flow. After persevering with it, I like solder paste
butfind it more expensive than sheet and as such now primarily use
solder pallions. During my ‘apprenticeship’ with the solder paste I
did encounter this spitting phenomenon. The first time was when I
used flux on the piece and didn’t allow it to dry properly and
secondly was when I was in a rush and didn’t allow the metalto dry
sufficiently before applying the solder paste. Thus logic tells me
not to use solder paste in any circumstance when your metal is wet.
Mieke