Riveting with gold

I want to make rivets with gold to hold together pieces made of
sterling silver. I was planning to use 14k gold so it would be hard
enough. I lobe it when the rivet allows for movement between the two
pieces. Who has experience creating gold rivets, and do they work/
Are they a bad idea for sterling silver jewelry, especially if you
want the rivet to have enough space to allow for movement between
the two pieces?

Dana wrote: I want to make rivets with gold to hold together pieces
made of sterling silver.

Always an interesting look. I do it often.

" I was planning to use 14k gold so it would be hard enough." Good
idea, although, if you were planning to hold the pieces snugly, you
could use higher karat gold, too.

" Are they a bad idea for sterling silver jewelry, " Nothing "bad"
about it. The look is what I go for, that nice juxtaposition of the
two metals.

" want the rivet to have enough space to allow for movement between
the two pieces? "

Sounds like a good idea to me. In this case, use the 14k gold,
because it does have to support the kinetics. To make this happen,
sandwich a piece of paper, at the rivet hole, between each of the
metal sheets to be riveted. Push the rivet through the hole in the
metal, paper metal sandwich, and upset the ends of the rivet. Soak
the piece in warm water, allowing the paper to disintegrate, leaving
a small gap between the riveted metal sheets. The amount of movement
you’re hoping to achieve, the thickness of the paper, and the gauge
of the wire rivet are the variables to consider.

Hope this is helpful,
Linda Kaye-Moses

Hello Dana,

When I want movement between the two silver surfaces (like an
earring, bracelet dangle, etc.), many times I can use a modified
rivet. Yes, gold works just fine, although it may be more expensive
than you would like.

Silver in a heavier gauge will also be strong enough.

First, I make a headpin. Then put the headpin through the two pieces
of metal, clip off the wire to about an eighth of an inch from the
surface/back. Then melt a small ball on this end of the wire. Now
you have something like a ‘dumbbell’ holding the two pieces of silver
together, yet allowing them to swing on the wire.

If this doesn’t make sense, email me off line and I can send you a
photo.

Judy in Kansas, where temps are to make triple digits today. Couple
that with humidity levels and it will be best to stay inside!