Transparent stone setting

I’m new to setting faceted stones and have a question. With
transparent stones the background is seen through the stone. Over
time the black tarnish on the silver background will be visible
through the stone. With a pronged setting you could always remove the
stone to polish the silver underneath. Would a tube setting be
preferable as it would limit oxygen and therefore tarnish on the
silver. Any input on this would be appreciated - Mike

if you can see the background through the stone means that the
cutting angles are not correct and your stone has a window. properly
cut stones should not have a window. you might want to select a
better stone.

john

I have solved the problem of tarnish under transparent stones by
putting a piece of fine silver under the stone. I take some 36 gauge
fine silver, cut a piece to the exact size of the bottom of the
stone, lay it under the stone, and then set the stone.

I don’t have to solder the fine silver in, as it will not shift or
move as it fits closely to the bezel. Alma

Polish the inside of the bezel, de-grease, and then paint a coat of
a clear lacquer on the inside of the bezel before setting the stone

Janet Barkwith
TheSmilingFoxStudio.com

Polish the inside of the bezel, de-grease, and then paint a coat
of a clear lacquer on the inside of the bezel before setting the
stone

never in a million years!!!

Over time the lacquer will discolour and may delaminate from the
metal.

Also if set in a ring what happens to the lacquer when a ring size is
needed? The heat will damage the lacquer.

One solution is do not set these stones in solid back bezels.

Another solution is to gold plate the inside of the bezel as is done
with reclaimed tortoise shell.

Richard
Xtines Jewels

Thanks for that Richard - it was what I was told some years ago when
I asked the same question about that. I’m not a stone setter in that
way anyhow, so haven’t tried it out - just as well, obviously!

Janet Barkwith
TheSmilingFoxStudio.com