A chance to visit Australia

A friend of mine has asked me if I’d like to go along with him and
some other shutterbugs, to trek across the outback for a couple of
weeks in September. A chance of a lifetime, something I’ve always
wanted to do, but not really feasible, financially…

I was thinking, though, that if there were some way that I could
combine that with teaching a few workshops there, that I could at
least barely afford it. Questions abound, such as “is it legal?” and
“is there anyone who would be remotely interested?”

Rather than haul a bunch of tools around, if it were to happen at
all I would probably ship the needed supplies and hardware to the
aspiring students, ahead of time, and just arrange to show up and
play.

Advice? Warnings?

Loren

Hi Loren,

Very possible, but you would need to have a working visa, otherwise
you’d risk being kicked out.

Regards Charles A.

Sounds feasible: Figure out how many students you can handle alone
in a class, how long a class will take, what you expect to make
monetarily from each class, and then how many classes you need to
arrange in advance to fund the trip. and what exactly does “in
advance” mean to you. There’s the "feasibility test!!

Try to set up locations with some already stocked metalsmithing
schools, like YMCA’s, Parks and Recreation agencies, community
colleges and the like. Some agencies have visiting artist programmes
too, depending on time and connections you or your group may have in
AU you may check into something like that.

  • Once you’ve decided to go, and set up with a space or spaces
    around the immediate areas you’ll be travelling through* (remember to
    check out distances from point A to where your trekkers will be and
    make sure your class isn’t 100 miles away from them…) begin to
    advertise immediately !.
    .

Tailor the classes so that they coordinate with days you are not
interested in doing what the trekkers are doing, and so that the
participants leave with a skill or tangible object finished in one
6-8 hour period, if not a two day workshop (i don’t know what you
’teach’). Get deposits through the schools/locations from the
students so you’ll know what funds you can count on once you’ve paid
the facility for their consumables, etc.

Have clear lists of what your participants bring in their tool kits,
so you aren’t schlepping or shipping your tools across the equator.
In the advertising have some really high quality photos of examples
of the kind of work you do and then some of the completed projects
they are signing up for. As for the metals either bring them with you
ready to go in “kits” precut, etc. unless using a saw or piercing is
part of the class, or have an order ready for pick-up locally when
you get for ( paid for in advance, or with whatever deposit the
company required to cut/fabricate the stock), unless it’s with a
company you have a net 30 account with that has locations in AU. If
stones are part of the class tell the students to bring x or provide
whatever is needed with the kit so everyone is working with the same
size and shape stone- which in a short class or workshop makes
teaching formulaic equations, like figuring bezel lengths, etc.
swift.

Legale? if you are a business, shouldn’t be an issue. I don’t really
understand how teaching a class could be illegal- so not sure what
you mean on that point. Oh, doing business in a foreign country
maybe?..

shouldn’t be a problem. How long a time from preparations being made
and getting participants signed up properly is the only limitation I
can imagine Some agencies, locations, schools have insurance in
place, if not either a waiver or getting some insurance set up could
be accomplished through sources the location(s) have used in the past
or other teachers have dealt with- so you may need to do some
clarification on that issue too. Provided you have taught classes
before then reprinting any handouts as opposed to creating them, or
creating a brand new lesson plan that is untried could be a
’road-block’… Figure out how many students you can handle alone in a
class, how long a class will take, what you expect to make monetarily
from each class, and then how many classes you need to arrange in
advance to fund the trip. there’s the “feasibility test”.good luck.
rer

Legale? if you are a business, shouldn't be an issue. I don't
really understand how teaching a class could be illegal- so not
sure what you mean on that point. Oh, doing business in a foreign
country maybe?..

Doing business in a foreign country is okay as long as you don’t
breach the terms of the visa.

If you have a holiday visa and you work then you will be in breach,
and will be deported immediately. When you arrive in the country, if
the officials determine that you’re going to work and don’t have a
working visa they will put you on the next plane out of the country.

Regards Charles A.

Hi Loren

its called the outback because no one is there. So forget the
workshops outback.

BUT you could do workshops or sell your goods at markets in more
populated areas.

LEGAL we are a country born from convicts so that is a moot point.

It is possible but you will have to do some paperwork, you need a
457 visa to work legally.

But if you buy your metal here then your HOBBY is not a problem.

I would buy your tools and metal here email Charles Anderson check
Orchid posts for email, he works at House of Jewellery tool supplies
and use Alloy and Gold Supplies or A and E metals for your metal.
Also if you make your bracelets in red, yellow and black, the
Aborigines will buy a lot.

These are their colours like green, yellow, red and black are rasta
colours. I teach aboriginal kids and they make red yellow and black
jewellery by the ton. Also I could possibly get you a day at my
school I am the jewellery teacher.

$75 per hour is the going rate so you could get $350 for the day.

If you get it right you could travel our country and make money.

But some advice we have the deadliest of everything, spiders to
jellyfish.

So don’t touch it! it will kill you.

Also we have Vegimite, a spread for bread and toast etc. Be very
careful if you are offered this stuff most os people cannot handle
it, so we aussies love to give it to tourists the reaction is
hilarious.

You will really like it here in OZ in spite of our nasties, the food
and people are great and so is the weather.

We also have a great art and craft movement so your skills, I
checked out your webpage, would really be appreciated.

Also if you get to the East Coast I could put you up for a few days
we have a 3 bedroom house in the country, and get you into some
markets. We also have a shed that often has my son’s metal band to
stay if there are a few of you and if you want photos of birds we
have a great variety, also snakes, leaches, ticks, scorpions,
spiders, moths, kangaroos etc.

Loren it will take some planning on your part but it is achievable.
I would also get in touch with National Geographic to see if you can
sell them an article with the photos.

Also I have a workshop you could run a class in but where I live,
think Deliverance the movie, they won’t pay much LOL.

Anyway it would be great to see you if you get here.

Email me offline if you need more details.

All the best you will have a great time
Richard
Xtines Jewels

Okay, good answers, they helped me direct my explorations. It turns
out that I can apply for a Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity)
Visa. Here’s a link, in case anyone else is interested:

http://www.ganoksin.com/gnkurl/ep8086

That’s what I meant about “is it legal”, the fact that some
governments take a very dim view of outsiders coming in and doing
work for hire, or selling goods, etc.

Thanks,

Loren

Richard,

I think the visa I was looking at is a 400, not 457, but I could be
wrong.

Materials that I could get in Australia would be limited to silver
wire and perhaps a few very simple items, because the main things I
use to teach are hand-made custom tools only available through me or
by making them on the spot. The latter would be a whole 'nother set
of workshops. :slight_smile:

I know the outback is very sparsely populated, but I was thinking
that if I stayed on an extra week after my buddies finished the trek
I’d have time to get something done. Can’t really go early, since I
have another commitment here in the States.

Looking at my friend’s listed itinerary, we’d be flying into Sydney,
then going to Adelaide.Coming back, we’d be flying from Darwin to
Sydney on September 30th, so I’m guessing the only time I’d be
really free to teach workshops would be from that point on.

So, I guess what I need to research is contacts in Darwin and/or
Sydney. My workshops are very low-tech, given my tools and methods,
and I could teach them anywhere, not just in jewelry studios. I’ve
done them outdoors next to a picnic bench, even.

Loren

Loren

The visa you should be looking at is a 457. I will investigate
applying for one here in Toronto, Canada. There is even an Australian
Embassy here as well.

I know from other sources that gem-setting instructors or teachers
are hard to get a hold of. It is incumbent upon ‘us’ on Orchid to
give assistance to those “down under”. They do need out help.

You gotta realize that they are at least 14 hours ahead of us a.
k.a.

“+9GMT” as I am -5GMT. Midnight here is 2:00p. m. over there! If you
don’t get your visa, consider yourself turning back once you are
’found’ out. oops! Gerry!

…Gerry!

Also we have Vegemite, a spread for bread and toast etc. Be very
careful if you are offered this stuff most os people cannot handle
it, so we aussies love to give it to tourists the reaction is
hilarious.

Loren - Also watch out for the quarter pounder big mac with an egg
mcmuffin and 1/2" slice of pickled beet. I should have done the
vegemite instead!

Be sure to try the didgeridoo as the new skill set will always earn
a few beers back home!

Charlie

I just spoke to the Toronto embassy, they put me to the Ottowa head
office. So far it looks good in filling out the “457” form. The
process takes about 30 days to investigate the applicant, but once
that is done. the windows of opportunity lasts for 4 years. meaning
you can easily find a sponsor to get you into the country. I now
have many hurdles to jump, but it, ll be very worth the effort. Got
to now read andre-read the application forms. But as my daughter is
getting married this Sunday, I’ll read this over. next week!!!..

Gerry