Re: [Orchid] Setting burs and 22K gold

Mark Nelson Tuesday, April 02, 2013

>     I have been struggling to cut a seat in 22K tubing with a setting
>     bur. This was not a problem a few years ago and has more recently
>     become impossible. I have called the techs at both Stuller & Rio
>     Grande and they usually suggest another brand of bur.

    We just happen to have Phil Poirier here in the building this week
    teachingsome Hydraulic Press classes. He works a lot in 22k and so
    we asked him. He had this to offer.

    He said that a bur with less teeth will not help, it will chatter
    and you will still get the same burnished effect because the bur is
    rotating too fast with a flexshaft. What he recommended is that you
    cut the seat by hand only making a 1/4 turn at a time then clean the
    bur on a file cleaning brush after each 1/4 turn.

I hope this is of some help.
Mark Nelson
Rio Grande Technical Support
1-800-545-6566