Re: [Orchid] Pencil lead for cheniers

leonid surpin Wednesday, February 20, 2013

>     Using an external means of alignment does not cause too much
>     solder, and if it does I would like to know where the extra solder
>     comes from.

    That is a valid question. A simple experiment should demonstrate the
    point.

    Assemble few cheniers with whatever extra alignment method and place
    it on a sheet of rolled metal. Unless sheet is perfectly flat,
    looking with light behind the cheniers reveals gaps between the sheet
    and the cheniers.

    Do this with 3, 5, and 7 cheniers. It will show that with increasing
    length, gaps will increase as well. When such arrangement is
    soldered, these gaps are filled with solder. In hinge fabrication
    this has to avoided at all costs.

Leonid Surpin
Studioarete.com