Re: [Orchid] Non-toxic pickle

Barbara Ettles Carter Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Hi Jen

    I applaud your choices for looking after the earth. But a septic
    system has to be emptied sometime somewhere and it still drains into
    the same earth that we all walk on, drink the water from and grow
    our food on.

    Eventually contaminants reach the ground water and the oceans.
    Dangerous levels of various toxic chemicals and metals seems
    inevitable when we look at the planet as pretty much a closed system
    (barring new advances in technlogy). We are humans. We pollute. We
    don't seem to be able to do otherwise. All we can do is try to limit
    it as much as we can. If you want to make an omelet, you have to be
    prepared to break some eggs. Maybe you can use the shell in some way,
    but it will be broken and changed from what it was. C'est la vie.

    All the best on a snowy day on the Island (more time on the Deere
    tomorrow) Barbara