[Tucson 2013] 17th Annual Tucson Orchid Get Together

I know people are beginning to wonder about the Orchid dinner. I
know Dave Arens, and saw him the other day but we didn’t talk about
the dinner. I don’t know if he’s planning it. Robyn Hawk and Maureen
Zapellini are usuallyinvolved too. I live here in Tucson and I’d be
willing to find a place for us to meet for dinner. I really enjoy
hanging out with everybody and I’dhate to see it go away.

What kind of food do you like and what kind of price range? I don’t
mind TGIFriday’s, everyone who has attended in the past knows where
it is. It isa little crowded and hard to talk because everyone gets
their own small table. I know of some restaurants that have meeting
rooms. There is a really good Tucson-based local BBQ place with a
nice meeting room. The food is really good. It is called Brushfire
BBQ,

http://www.ganoksin.com/gnkurl/ep7zw4

Let’s all definitely try to meet up. I remember when Orchid dinners
were huge - like 80 people!

I think it would be offered on Thursday, February 7th at 6pm.

Let the discussions begin.

Kevin Potter

Kevin,

Orchid 80 people, try putting a 2 in front of 80, and then some.

I’m game for anything you can arrange, all I need to know is a date
and location. I look forward to this. Have not asked Dave at all,
why not try?

Hugs,
Terrie

Definitely will be in Tucson for the Gem Show, and would love to
join all you for dinner there. (You’ve got to drive your hotrod,
Kevin!) Many of us from California are vegetarians (it’s now state
law) so the BBQ venue is the least attractive food option, at least
for me.

Thanks!
Jay

Been lucky enough to have gone to the old sponsored dinners, love to
get together this year. Audrita in Las Cruces

Have fun guys, I’d love to come, but the swim is a little too far
:wink: CIA

I will not be able to make it but BBQ vegetables can be absolutely
terrific. We used to do an artist lunch when we lived in Mendocino
CA, did it every Thursday, and we had ALL SORTS of food
requirements, and BBQed veggies was a favorite by all. Just a
thought.

john dach

Jay, I will not be in Tucson but I sure hope you stop by the stuller
booth in the gas tent. have fun…

Andy The Tool Guy

I would definitely be interested in a dinner! It will be my first
time in Tucson and I would love to meet up with other Orchidians!

This will be my first time to go to Tucson and would also like to
attend the “get together”. Please let me know the when and where’s.

Thanks,
George in Green Bay

I would love to be a part of the Orchid dinner. As I said it will be
the first time my husband will be there, I have such fond memories of
the dinners. Of course, back then, the first I attended was at a
mexican restaurant that Sam had arranged, and a few there after. As
it grew, venues changed, still a good time. It sounds like it may be
a small group once again from what I’m gathering, of course I could
be totally wrong. I haven’t been since 2008. I wish Hanuman and Ton
were coming! Charles, are you going to be down there? Cheers to a
get together! (Can you tell it’s wine time? :-))

Lisa Hawthorne

2013 Tucson Gem Show Orchid Gathering!

Please join

Kevin Potter and Sam Patania

At the wonderful
Cafe a’ la C’arte
7 PM on February 7th, 2013
(Downtown at the Tucson Museum of Art)

http://www.ganoksin.com/gnkurl/ep7zxr

Potter USA

will giveaway a door prize (no purchase necessary) “potter usa 20 ton
bolt together hydraulic press” to a lucky winner! a $450 VALUE!

Come join Kevin and Sam and meet your Orchid friends in person!
Enjoy a quiet dinner during a very busy time in Tucson at this
wonderful locally owned restaurant. Please look at their website for
their menu. And, to make the evening go more smoothly, pre ordering
is an option by E-mailing your order to Sam at
@Sam_Patania1

Sam will make sure your order is received by the restaurant and this
will help the restaurant prepare for what we expect to be close to
50 people. The menu at Cafe’ a La C’art can accommodate the most
discriminating diner including gluten free and vegetarian so please
don’t let dietary restrictions make you miss this wonderful
opportunity to meet your fellow Orchidians.

Please view the restaurant’s web site
Café a la C'Art – Tucson Dining & Catering Located at the Tucson Museum of Art & Historic Block for their address and any other
questions you have about them, but send Sam your order. Each diner
will be charged on their own ticket and can order from their full
dinner menu. Walk-ins will also be very welcome so don’t miss out if
you didn’t pre-order.

RSVP to Sam or Kevin;
@Sam_Patania1 or kevin@potterusa.com

2013 Tucson Gem Show Orchid Gathering!

Please join

Kevin Potter and Sam Patania

At the wonderful
Cafe a’ la C’arte
7 PM on February 7th, 2013
(Downtown at the Tucson Museum of Art)

http://www.ganoksin.com/gnkurl/ep7zxr

Potter USA

will giveaway a door prize (no purchase necessary) “potter usa 20 ton
bolt together hydraulic press” to a lucky winner! a $450 VALUE!

Come join Kevin and Sam and meet your Orchid friends in person!
Enjoy a quiet dinner during a very busy time in Tucson at this
wonderful locally owned restaurant. Please look at their website for
their menu. And, to make the evening go more smoothly, pre ordering
is an option by E-mailing your order to Sam at
pataniajewelry AT gmail.com

( Download the menu: http://www.ganoksin.com/ftp/DinnerMenu2013.pdf )

Please view the restaurant’s web site
Café a la C'Art – Tucson Dining & Catering Located at the Tucson Museum of Art & Historic Block for their address and any
other questions you have about them, but send Sam your order. Each
diner will be charged on their own ticket and can order from their
full dinner menu. Walk-ins will also be very welcome so don’t miss
out if you didn’t pre-order.

RSVP to Sam or Kevin;
@Sam_Patania1 or kevin@potterusa.com

The Tucson Gem Show Orchid Dinner was a wonderful success. We met at
Cafe’ A’La C’art (which has more apostrophes than I care to type)
which is right down town, a block away from both the GJX and AGTA
show venues. We had a door prize drawing for a Kevin Potter, Potter
USA, hydraulic press which I didn’t win. I think Thursday is a good
day for this dinner, it dodges the schedule for the big AGTA get
togethers pretty well. We have a good venue in that Cafe’ and they
told us as we were leaving that they could expand to accommodate many
more people. We had 34 Orchids attend the dinner where we moved
tables around so we could sit together. It was very casual and
relaxing and we were all able to order what ever we wanted from the
dinner menu.

Next year we will do it again, I will be a bit more organized and
bring name tags so we can identify each other more easily. The
drawing will be held later too, thank you Robin. If you have any
suggestions for making the dinner even better please let me or Kevin
Potter know and I’m sure we will drag you in to help organize, yes
that is a threat.

Thank you Hanuman and Ton for keeping this thing alive, it is worth
it, and thank you Orchidians, lurkers, chief offenders and everyone
in between. I have a passion for Orchid and sharing my metalsmithing
life. Most artists, craftsmen/women and industry people in other
disciplines don’t have a place to sound off or answer questions or
ask questions like we do in Orchid. It is a lonely world out there
for them, we are lucky.

http://www.ganoksin.com/gnkurl/ep800r

Sam Patania, Tucson

What a great way to get together at the week in Tuscon! Unfortunatly
I got there late (got so lost) but met nice people and food was
great.

Audrita

Hello Sam and you lucky Orchidians at the dinner,

First, thank you Sam! I really enjoyed your report and think the
venue sounds very appealing.

Second, I really missed the Tucson gem shows this year. My onsite
buyer did well, but it was not much fun for me. I hope I sell a lot
in 2014 so that there will be much to restock!

BUT, just wait 'til next year. I’ll even wear my Orchid T-shirt to
the dinner. not fancy, but appropriate. All the best everyone, for a
prosperous 2013.

Judy in Kansas

Orchid, The shining path to Sharing, Caring, and Friendships.

We started with Dave Arens inviting Orchid members to gather
together. Some years later, Sam Patania added his energy to an ever
larger Orchid gathering. Charles Lewton Brain added the impetus for
us all to share even more, and Hanuman and Ton traveled to Tucson to
share the Orchid vision. Kenneth Singh hosted evenings in tucson and
even in NYC.

Orchid grew with gatherings in other locations such as Los Angeles,
and NYC. All were spearheaded by the volunteer efforts of Orchid
members and support of local members.

We are now and have always been a community of giving, sharing and
caring individuals. Rio Grande was a strong supporter of Orchid, and
when the decision was made to stop the Catalog in Motion, a great
meet and greet location, we were sort of cut loose.

Back into the forefront came Dave Arens and now Sam Patania. A few
TGIF gatherings, and now this one at Cafe’ A’La C’Art, which I
personally found delightful. Family owned and operated, it was
wonderful from walking in the front door early, as I did, to
offering comfort while waiting, showing the ambience of each room
used for serving dinners, to adjusting the seating arrangement to
make as many of us sitting together as possible. Even adding tables
and chairs for the larger volume of attendees.

I agree with Sam, it was a wonderful evening, good food, drink, and
friendly attendees. Orchid is unique and wonderful to be a part of.
I had a wonderful time, and look forward to 2014.

Hugs,
Terrie

Teresa Masters

RE Tucson Get Together: This is wonderful. I cannot wait to be able
to attend! Sounds like a pleasure! Not knowing a single one of you
in person you have no idea how much your/our banter helps my day
along in my shop. I am often thinking of some little piece of advice
or to do something correctly/differently. (Just caught a
pendant with the top of my foot last night - thanks Jay W.) Anyway
when my young family is more grown up (which will be soon) I cannot
wait to meet a handful of you face to face and go toTucson.

Thanks Too All Of You For All You Do On This Forum ~ It’s very much
appreciated! :slight_smile:

joy kruse
wildprairiesilver.com

I'll even wear my Orchid T-shirt

There’s an Orchid T-shirt?

Allan

I made my tee shirt by downloading the Ganoksin/Orchid logo from the
website. After enlarging, I printed it on the transfer stuff you can
buy in a T-shirt making kit. Ironed it on a tee and voila’… an
Orchid tee shirt! Judy in Kansas, who has also done the same thing
with digital photos