[Orchid] [Rare eBooks] The Art of Hard Soldering

Orchid Friday, January 18, 2013

    New in our Digital Antique Books Library.....

    The Art of Hard Soldering By Henry G. Abbott, 1895

    http://www.ganoksin.com/gnkurl/ep7zxv

    This 1895 book is very good. It describes the issues and techniques
    used in hard (and to some degree in soft) soldering. It is 74 pages
    of distilled, bright information.

    There are a number of mouth driven blowpipe torches described using
    various fuels. Alcohol and gasoline are recommended. Gasoline
    torches of various kinds are described with very clear engraved
    illustrations. (Gasoline torches are still standard in many tropical
    countries mostly ones with open sides to their workshops lots of air
    blowing through). The beginnings of gas torches are shown, and it
    makes one realize how far we have come and at the same time lets you
    understand the principles behind today's torches. Odd arrangements
    of tubes and heating systems for pre-heating the gasses are used to
    get the temperature high enough to melt platinum.

    Mouth blown systems were extensively used, and tips for using them
    include rubber mouthpieces and gold plating any parts in contact
    with the mouth. A coiled tip preheated the air being blown into a
    flame and this doubled the heating power of a standard blow-pipe.

    The foot bellows shown to supply oxygen to a flame is exactly the
    same as I learned to use in the 80's in Germany, and is the same as
    that used today in most countries outside North America.

    Flame types are well described and diagrammed. There is an emphasis
    on using a reducing flame to remove oxides during soldering.

    It is claimed that charcoal can embrittle gold alloys heated on it.
    Asbestos was used a lot and recommended. That would be unthinkable
    today.

    The images of blowpipe soldering different problems let you know how
    lucky we are to have the torches (and lasers) we do today. The
    drawings (actually engravings) are very good, thorough and clear.

    There are a number of clamping devices for holding pieces for
    soldering that have been forgotten, and look useful and interesting.

    There is a very clear discussion of fluxes, what to use, when
    appropriate etc. The same with solders, making your own, alloys for
    solders, constituents and more. The section on alloys has many
    recipes. Carbon (graphite) ingot molds and crucibles are described
    and pictured, with automatic systems for melting and tipping. There
    is a scathing critique of general work quality in soldering and
    repair. This author would have been in heaven to have had a laser or
    a fusion welder.

    The discussion of repair is excellent, and would benefit anyone
    today. There is a very interesting section where the author takes
    you through a number of technical procedures, step by step, with
    comments. Subtle blowpipe skills are described. What, for people in
    the West, is interesting, is that if you just go on numbers of
    people using a technique then this ancient approach is still the
    most popular in the world, the most used, in Asia, India and other
    places I suspect there are still more users of this approach than of
    high tech (and expensive) torches.

    I think every jeweler should learn to use a blowpipe. For chain
    repair a $2.00 blowpipe can equal a $500 mini-torch. While traveling
    I once hard soldered a chain using a candle and a Bic pen tube. A
    useful skill for the extreme jeweler.

    There is an excellent section on testing gold alloys for gold
    content. Using apples and potatoes to protect a gem during ring
    sizing is described. (I like paper towel and water mush for this
    myself). Repairs and joint types are covered.

    An interesting book, well worth adding to your library.

    File Size: 9.70MB, 74 Pages

    Download the full eBook at the ridiculous price of $5.
    http://www.ganoksin.com/gnkurl/ep7zxv