Re: [Orchid] Mica jewelry

Linda Gasparini Friday, January 18, 2013

    Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts on securing my mica flake for
    jewelry. I'm thinking that I'll encase it under either a glass or
    quartz dome, set into a bezel. Haven't decided whether it will be
    open backed (with a glass back) or solid backed. It's slightly
    translucent, so it may be interesting to see if some light will pass
    thru it. For those who asked, my sliver of mica is what I would call
    "root beer" in color. It's roughly hexagonal, about 25 mm across and
    1 mm thick.

    I'm familiar with the delicate mica sculptures of the Mississippian
    culture- they are amazing, and are another reason I want to honor my
    departed mare with a piece of her namesake mineral.

Linda in central FL