Re: [Orchid] Another scam?

Terry Binnion iMac Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Hi Everyone,

    I wanted to alert people as to a little better than average (in the
    beginning) scam we recently received. We received an email from a
    woman who said she was from Baltimore, married last year and moved
    to Australia. Wanted to know if we accept MC and could we ship to
    Australia. So far, sounded like a reasonable inquiry and I answered
    in the affirmative to both answers. I then received an email asking
    for 4 "items" she wanted including two rings that were both
    engagement rings so that seemed a bit strange. Then she wrote back
    (see email below). If you look at the phrasing the English is a
    little off to be American English (she said she was from Baltimore)
    and of course wanting things picked up. Jim and I were both a big
    suspicious so I put her name and the word "scam" in google search
    and about the same time we received our inquiry someone also did on
    etsy and was asking on a forum there whether others thought it was a
    scam or not (he only had the first email at that point so the
    responders were divided in half as to whether they thought scam or
    not). So be aware. and realize that sometimes the first
    email/inquiry seems reasonable, but watch the follow-up for things
    that might not be so correct.

    Her email: "Please kindly calculate the total cost of the items, so
    that you can get the order processed for me. i will email you my
    credit card account information for the payment of the order.
    Concerning the shipment, the likes of UPS, DHL and others always
    don't take care of the charges down here. Charges like handling,
    customs and duties etc. We have experienced such situation before
    and i don't want to experience such thing again, you do not need to
    worry about the stress involve and all documentations because i have
    a shipping company that have delivered to me in the past, i really
    like their services so i will be having my shipping agent come to
    pickup the order directly from you because i already have some large
    merchandise with them in which after picking up the items they will
    then deliver it to me here in Australia. So i want you to get back
    to me with the size and weight items."

Interesting don't you think?

Terry Binnion
James Binnion Metal Arts, LLC