The Look of hand made

I was just discussing the issue of an intentional vs. unintentional
hand made look with somebody and used as an example an artist I
recently came across on Etsy

Their bezel settings break every rule any book or class will teach
you (they are crimped, uneven, unpolished, thick, etc.) and yet are
done with some undefinable sense of intentionality that make it an
allowable, and to many people (although not me personally) appealing
look. One customer in their feedback describes a bulky, misshapen
ring as the most beautiful they’d ever seen. On paper, the jewelry
would be hideous.

I agree that it’s a matter of a certain “je ne sais quoi” that is
hard to put into words yet we all are able to recognize. It
certainly has to do with the imperfections being painted atop a
skillfully produced canvas. Just as most impressionist paintings, for
example, demonstrated traditional abilities before their more
unorthodox work was accepted as a new type of skill rather than a
mess.

Ellen B Weiss

It certainly has to do with the imperfections being painted atop a
skillfully produced canvas. Just as most impressionist paintings,
for example, demonstrated traditional abilities before their more
unorthodox work was accepted as a new type of skill rather than a
mess.

Well, well, well, where do I begin. In real paining “imperfections”
are not painted on top of anything. There are no imperfections. A
school of painting know as Impressionism has to do with compressing
natural tonal range to what can be done on canvass. Bold brush
strokes, uneven loading, use of palette knife, - mix colors in more
natural way. Impressionism simply exaggerates what happens in nature.
It has thrived not because of it’s unorthodoxy, but because it is
good.

Whether or not it can be used for metal work is a really big
question. A great deal of taste and artistic intuition is required to
do it well. It should never be approached casually. It does not happen
by itself. There must be a reason for using it with decorative
object. Painting has different function than a vase. Jewellery lives
in a world of it’s own. Crossovers are possible, but good ones are
super rare.

Leonid Surpin