PNP etching substitute

I have had both success and failure using pnp in the etching of
silver. The inconsistent results led me to seek help and I found a
great deal in the archives.

I have used my pnp sheet and need to buy more. In one of the archive
threads I have been unable to relocate, there was mention of another
photo copyable material that was less expensive and perhaps more
forgiving than pnp. As I recall, it deposited the resist without
heat, perhaps after being wetted. It seems like something I should
try.

I have been unable to locate the material and it would be a great
help if I actually knew what it is.

Ben A Harris

Here is a link to my previous post about a product called Imag-on:

I use it for electro-etching and I understand it holds up well to
acid etching, although I haven’t tried it. I would never go back to
PnP.

Vera Meyer
galleryvera.com

I have been unable to locate the material and it would be a great
help if I actually knew what it is. It is the least expensive inkjet
photo paper from Staples. You run it through a laser printer, apply
it like PnP and then soak in water and rub off the excess. I didn’t
think it turned out that much better than PnP, but then I’ve gone
through hundreds of sheets of the PnP and never had a problem with
it.

Donna in VA

I have another suggestion for an etching resist, but it does use a
laminator/heat to use. Toner Transfer System - from Pulsar - it was
originally created for Circuit boards I think. There are 2 steps, one
transfers toner from a laser printer and the other step seals the
toner for a stronger resist to the acid - I like it much more than
PNP. There’s also another resist that is called ImageOn by Dupont.
For this resist you use UV light to develop the resist and then wash
away the undeveloped parts to etch.

There was a youtube video on how to use it, but I don’t know if it’s
still there. This method it used in the printing biz for Intaglio
printing. I found this site that discusses other resists like
ImageOn: imagon Another way to do
etching resists is to use a C02 laser - not something that most
people have in their homes (do to expense), but there are tons of
businesses that have them, especially in the trophy industry. You
can paint asphaultum, nail polish, enamel paint or packing tape on
the surface of your metal.

Use a Rastor/JPG Black and white image for the laser and it engraves
away the resist where you want the acid to etch. It works
beautifully! You can get crisp tiny details with it. I happen to have
a C02 laser for my new business and have used it to prep for etching

  • it’s amazing. If you’d like more info on the process, you can
    contact me through my personal email.

Ellen StarrStarr Design