Flex shaft drill press (x-y vice)

Hello all.

I’m looking for a decent quality inexpensive (two adjectives that
don’t always go together) Drill press set up for my flex shaft… It
is a Roto Max and I believe it is a standard hand piece I know Fordom
has one. Was wondering if anyone knows where I can can find a used
one or less cost then a brand new one.

I prefer a x-y vice style that I can use it as a milling machine as
I like to do more precision work then free hand.

Thanks
Sammy

Sammy,

I prefer a x-y vice style that I can use it as a milling machine
as I like to do more precision work then free hand.

As someone with some machine skills I have always been taught that
using a drill press as a milling machine was not a good idea. There
is a probable potential for a not too nice day. Drill presses and
milling machines might look almost the same but they aren’t. It
might hurt $$ to buy a mill but is better in the long run than
personal injury and trashed work.

jeffD
Demand Designs
Analog/Digital Modelling & Goldsmithing
http://www.gmavt.net/~jdemand

I use the dremel workstand with my dremel rotary tool. Also use the
dremel flexshaft

John
Rasmussen Gems & Jewelry LLC

Note From Ganoksin Staff:
Looking for a rotary tool for your jewelry projects? We recommend:

Hi Samantha,

I’ve got a Foredom DP-95 (their “precision” drill press mount for a
#30 handpiece). The main difference is that it has a dial indicator
on it rigged up to show vertical motion, and an adjustable table that
I never use. (vertical adjustable. I just leave it locked full down.)
Built very well, and it’s possible to make a simple fence for it
that’ll let you do basic WAX milling easily.

There’s a Proxxon XY table that may fit your needs, but the #30
handpiece isn’t designed for milling on metal. The bearings won’t
take it for long. (and believe me, none of the cheaper flex shafts
will do it for long either.) You can mill wax with it effectively
though. The small XY tables are really intended as XY positioning
tables, for accurate hole drilling, rather than milling. They’re not
built tight enough to move smoothly under load, at least the pocket
sized ones I’ve seen.

For whatever that’s worth.
Brian

PS–>none of these options will be cheap. My memory is the DP-95 is
in the $250 range.