Re: [Orchid] Identifying turquoise

Peter W . Rowe Sunday, May 08, 2011

>     There is something about the regularity of the blue segments and
>     eveness of the black matrix that doesn't look right.

    One thought about the color of the matrix is that at least in my
    experience, it's not uncommon for turqoise that has an attractive
    matrix pattern like spiderweb, or some other patterns, but which are
    lighter brown or varied in color, to be enhanced by adding a bit of
    (I think) black shoe polish to the matrix to make it more dramatic
    appearing... I've seen that a number of times with turqoise from the
    U.S. southwest, and would assume that similar simple treatments are
    not uncommon to other sources as well...

Peter