Re: [Orchid] Identifying turquoise

Sam Patania Tuesday, May 03, 2011
========[ Invite a Friend -  ]========

    I have been working with turquoise for 30 plus years and all I know
    is that I know nothing about it. I can identify pieces I have in my
    studio and give educated guesses on other pieces but I take cues
    from many sources. I bought a bag of rough a few weeks ago which I
    thought was Nevada and It turned out to be Chinese, so there you go.
    If the piece has certain matrix and color combinations it can be
    perhaps pinned down to a state or country. But the difference between
    many Nevada turquoises is such that to pin it down to a certain mine
    is difficult, same with Arizona and New Mexico. To ID turquoise on
    line is damn near impossible. I do love turquoise for those very
    reasons, always something to learn about it.

Sam Patania, Tucson