Re: [Orchid] State of casted rings?

James Binnion Monday, May 02, 2011

>     Thanks so much. This is what I was wondering. I stretched a ring
>     on my ring stretcher and I wanted to see how far I could push it.
>     It cracked and seemed more porous than what I am tradationally use
>     to.

    All castings are porous to some degree It depends on many different
    factors as to how porous it will be. But it could be just the
    dendritic as cast structure of the metal that made the rings crack.

>     It had almost no resistance and then it cracked. With my forged
>     rings they seem to have resistance you can feel right away even if
>     annealed. It is just a slight difference in 'feeling' the metal
>     stretch. (Does that make any sense?)

    Yes

>     I will tumble all of these rings and I am assuming that will work
>     harden them slightly and reduce some of that porosity but is it
>     ever the same as a forged ring?

    Tumbling will make no difference at all, the hard layer formed by
    tumbling is only a few millionths of an inch thick. To really do any
    work hardening will require a metal hammer on the cast metal with
    significant reduction in cross section. This is not normally
    possible with most castings.

James Binnion
James Binnion Metal Arts
http://www.mokume-gane.com