Re: [Orchid] Goldsmith is the state of mind, not a profession

jo haemer Sunday, May 01, 2011

>     but there is so much poorly finished pieces out there I really
>     don't think the consumer knows the difference.

    It depends on you and your customers. We take the time to educate
    ours if they are not already.

    I do agree that CAD CAM is a very important tool, but it's still
    just a tool. I recommend that all of our students learn CAD if they
    want a long career in the trade. However, it's up to us to educate
    our clients and show them how fine jewelry is really made.

    We are not all helpless in the face of changes. It's our trade and
    we can make it whatever we want. Learning how to use tools and make
    stuff is just the start. We also have to teach our clients. The
    better educated the client is, the nicer stuff she will want.

    There will always discerning jewelry collectors.

Have fun and make lots of jewelry.
Jo Haemer
www.timothywgreen.com