Oil rubbed bronze finish?

We’re re-doing our kitchen, and decided to go with what’s called
"oil rubbed bronze" finish on the faucets, etc.

It’s a lovely dark brown satin finish with slightly brighter
highlights on raised areas.

I really like the look of this patina, and I’d like to play with
using it on jewelry.

But I can’t find anything online about how to create the look
without using paint. I’m sure there must be some other way!

Does anyone have a recipe or directions for how to do this?

Kathy Johnson

oil rubbed bronze

I did some trawling for you.

http://www.ganoksin.com/gnkurl/2t

I wonder if ammonia would work?

Regards Charles A.

Kathy-

That finish is simply a spray lacquer on pot metal. It will wear off
eventually.

The Oppi Utrecht book should have the patinas you want.

Tim and I just finished re doing our kitchen. We made our own copper
counter tops, hand forged copper pot rack, electrical plate
covers, refrigerator handles, and all hand forged copper drawer and
cabinet handles. When I went shopping for the handles I brought some
home and messed with them to see if I could get a plain copper or
brass finish on them. That’s when I discovered that they charge
really big bucks for spray painted pot metal. It would have run us at
least a few hundred dollars for all that we needed.

I was so disgusted that I made ours from copper bar stock.

Have fun and make lots of jewelry.
Jo Haemer
www.timothywgreen.com

I found Oil-Rubbed bronze paint from Rub 'n Buff on line It is a wax
metallic finish. Amaco is the manufacturer from American Art Clay Co
in Indianapolis. 800-374-1600. There are several colors from which
to choose; Spanish copper did well.

On what are you thinking of using it? Joan

Joan North
Joan’s Designs

Tim and I just finished re doing our kitchen. We made our own
copper counter tops, hand forged copper pot rack, electrical plate
covers, refrigerator handles, and all hand forged copper drawer
and cabinet handles.

Do you have a picture you can share? CIA

I found Oil-Rubbed bronze paint from Rub 'n Buff on line It is a
wax metallic finish. On what are you thinking of using it?

I don’t want to use paint–I want to figure out how the original
patina was done and do it that way, on bronze jewelry. I’m thinking it
might look neat on cuff bracelets.

Kathy Johnson

That finish is simply a spray lacquer on pot metal. It will wear
off eventually.

Yeah, I know it’s just paint on the faucet. I have no intention of
buying store-bought cabinet handles in that finish. I’ll make my own.

The Oppi Utrecht book should have the patinas you want.

Really? Hmmm, I’ll have to look. There’s so much in that book I
forget what all is in there!

I was so disgusted that I made ours from copper bar stock.

I would love to see pics of this! And thanks for the idea–I think I
may be making my own drawer and cabinet handles too,if I can figure
out how to get that oil rubbed finish to come out right.

Kathy Johnson

I was so disgusted that I made ours from copper bar stock.

I made mine out of Lake Michigan beach rocks and machine screws with
little compression fittings as the stem. I love them!!

Noel