[Welcome] New Members for February 1, 2010

Please welcome our newest members!

Yvonne Elliott
CA. USA, 90068

I am an all purpose designer. Started out as a fashion designer, then
got into home furnishing. In that capacity I do graphic design,
furniture design, showroom design, and bedding design. But what I do
for fun is make jewelry. I made some in highschool, where my teacher
told me(after seeing how many sawblades I was breaking) “Some people
have a feeling for this, but you just don’t” Fortunately, I hold the
opinion that “if something is worth doing, it’s worth doing badly.”
Therefore, I persevered. I studied year of silversmithing in art
school, another year in England, and then put it aside for I hate to
say how long. Around two years ago I took it up again. I still do not
enjoy sawing, although I no longer break sawblades. But I do love
forging, chasing and seeing the solder flow. I have no desire to turn
it into a business, as I believe that one should always keep
something for the sheer joy of doing it. Because I don’t enjoy being
anally precise, I choose designs that are “rustic” tolerant. To that
end, I am inspired by ancient jewelry.

Russ B Hyder
The Jewelry CAD Institute
San Diego, CA. USA

http://www.thejewelrycadinstitute.com

I apprenticed under two papered master jewelers in the 70’s for five
years in Boulder, Colorado. I moved to Tacoma, Washington to accept a
position as a bench jeweler in a retail store. Six months later, I
was the foreman of a 13 man shop. I started my own trade shop in 1984
and ran it to 1994 with 27 retail accounts. I then moved to
Scottsdale, Arizona for some relaxation only to find myself back at
the bench out of my home. I did some national accounts while in
Arizona and then accepted a position with GIA in Carlsbad, CA. I
instructed the graduate jeweler and applied jewelry arts programs
there. I was promoted to the product manager after two years and the
department manager from 2004 to 2009. After the downturn in the
economy and the layoffs at GIA, I opened The Jewelry CAD Institute
out of my experience with CAD programs, Matrix and Rhino which I
built the curriculum for at GIA.

I then added RhinoGold to the instruction of the jewelry cad
institute. I have modulated the programs which favors online
instruction with pdf files for download and flash videos for visual
effect. I am on my 2010 travel schedule where I go from city to city
once per month to instruct Matrix. We feel that online instruction is
not for everyone and have deemed it necessary to have that one on one
interaction.