Ph-Down for pickle solution

Hi. I’m completely new to Orchid and to working with silver. Will
try to keep this message short.

I want to use PH-Down for making pickle solution, as it is an
economic way to do so, however I have been having difficulty finding
some vital regarding it. First: How much PH-Down is used?
10% PH-Down to 90% water? 20%? Also, does the water need to be
distilled? And what temperature is recommended? I have an older
Westbend crock pot with adjustable heat which I will be using for the
pickle. Is the teflon coating a problem?

Thanks
Jon

Hi Jon,

I’ve been using Ph-down for years. I use a Rival 4 qt. ceramic lined
crockpot. I usually put about 1 1/2- 2 qts. of water in it,. Then I
just pour the Ph out of the container right into the pot. If I had
to guess, I’d say I put about 1 cup of Ph in it. When I turn the pot
on I usually set it on low. When the liquid level gets low, I just
add more water.

I use ordinary tap water (ours is very hard, lots of calcium). I
don’t think the teflon coating is a problem unless the post is made
of a ferrous metal. If that’s the case, if the teflon gets a hole in
it & the metal the pot is made from is a ferrous metal you could get
a coppetr plating on any sterling items you put in the pot. Pickle
pots are better if they have a ceramic or glass lining.

Dave

I’m new also, but I now something about chemistry… If you want
prepare pickle solution you must prepare 10 % of H2SO4 That mean if
you want 200 ml of solution - 1. 20 ml of conc. H2SO4 2. 180 ml
dest. H2O Always prepare - first water and second acid !!! Newer
reverse !!!

Irineja

First: How much PH-Down is used? 10% PH-Down to 90% water? 20%?

Same ratio as Sparex.

Also, does the water need to be distilled?

No.

And what temperature is recommended?

doesn’t matter, but warm will work faster, don’t let it boil.

I have an older Westbend crock pot with adjustable heat which I
will be using for the pickle. Is the teflon coating a problem?

Doesn’t seem like a good idea. Get a ceramic one, they’re widely
available in thrift stores.

Elaine
http://www.CreativeTextureTools.com

I probably use more water and less Ph Down, but it doesn’t really
seem to matter. Our water is has a lot of iron in it, so I use
distilled water.

2 Likes