Adorn America - Making, Giving, Wearing

The Metal Clay World Conference held in Bloomingdale Illinois July
16-18, 2009 was presented by Art Clay World USA, and featured Alan
Revere as the keynote speaker. Mr. Revere used the occasion of his
keynote address to propose a new idea to a select segment of the
jewelry making community.

Alan gave every one in attendence a significant and valuable gift by
providing the conference with a personal message and a visionary
idea. His introduction of Adorn America - an inspirational movement
of Making, Giving, Wearing - was the perfect sentiment to share with
a group of creative people who make things that are intended to be
worn.

The Adorn America principle of generosity has a two fold purpose,
increasing happiness of both giver and receiver, and increasing the
exposure of jewelry in our daily lives. To exemplify this principle
Alan chose a person at random from the audience to present with a
personal gift from himself, a handmade silver bracelet complete with
the MCWC logo. This was a perfect illustration of the movement in
action, completing his introduction. As Alan presented the gift to
the ecstatic recipient, Patricia Weikersheimer, he demonstrated and
explained the steps involved in Making, Giving, Wearing.

Information about the Adorn America movement is available at
http://www.adornamerica.com

The seed which germanated into the Adorn America movement sprouted
in a conversation between Alan and myself in his garden in San
Francisco. It took root and developed as the dialogue included
Christine Dhein, the assistant director of the Revere Academy. Under
Alan and Christine’s nourishment the seedling flowered and has now
put forth fruit to be shared and enjoyed by everyone.

Alan started the wheel in motion with his presentation in
Bloomingdale, now it is up to all the rest of us to keep the momentum
of the movement going.

Michael David Sturlin
http://michaelsturlinstudio.ganoksin.com/blogs/

Hi there,

What a gift this project is ! After a stressful, hard, long day that
involved meeting other people’s deadlines, I just read thepost and
saw this wonderful site. I especially enjoyed some of the quotes on
theside of the page. This is one I just shared in the shop: "We make
a living by what we get;

we make a life by what we give.
Winston Churchill.

Sometimes, John & I will help a fellow jeweler in a crunch–no
charge. Saycleaning up a porous casting for a friend that is
intended to be–yes a gift !Or we’ll do something as simple as
cleaning a visitor’s piece of jewelry(meaning refinishing close to
new)… This weekend I’m in a local street festival. I’m inspired and
will take something from my case and do this exact same
thing–present a gift…Thanks to Orchid for the daily gift of
sharing!

Ciao from sunny S.F.,
Jo-Ann Maggiora Donivan

One of my favorite things to do is to select a necklace I made to
wear on the morning of a day that I plan to be out-and-about, with
the intention of giving it to a stranger that comments on it during
the day. My favorite time was the check-out clerk at Wal-Mart. She
was so overwhelmed and happy.

For me, it was so much fun.
Jamie

It reminds me of the bumper sticker that came out a few years back
that said “Practice Random Acts Of Kindness”

I read your post on giving and had to add a fun story. I am so very
brand new to jewelry making. Last year I took some things that I made
with me to the Indian Festivals in New Mexico and had fun trading.
While waiting for relatives at the Acoma Pueblo, I was visiting with
the jewelry vendors there. One lady admired what I was wearing so
much that I insisted she have it,?and went on my way. An hour later
she found me and gave me the most beautiful 3 strand turquoise &
coral necklace. What a surprise!? It’s so true… giving is so much
fun, especially to those that don’t expect it.

Anita Sanchez-Pierce, Interpreter
CA State Parks - San Clemente, California