Flaky scale in pickle pot

Every time I use my pickle pot, which is a steel and black, mini
Rival crockpot, within 24 hours I get a flaky scale along the top
edge of the pot. Doesn’t matter if I leave the lid on or off, it’s
there anyway. I don’t leave it plugged in when I’m not around so it’s
not overheating or anything. But I was told I could leave the pickle
in the pot as long as it’s clear. However, in the past, this "scale"
has crusted over and fallen to the table.

From the resultant damage to the table, I have to assume it’s
re-crystalized pickle but why is it happening and is there anything I
can do about it?

Michele

I have had the same problem using a Little Dipper Crock pot. Hot or
cold, the white crystalline scale creeps out from around the lid and
ends up on the bench top. My solution has been to cut a length of
plastic tubing (aquarium tubing) lengthwise, slide this onto the
edge of the lid and glue it in place with silicone sealant. This
results in a pretty good seal around the top of the pickle pot. Seems
to be working so far as the crystalline scale has not reappeared.

John Bowling

My solution has been to cut a length of plastic tubing (aquarium
tubing) lengthwise, slide this onto the edge of the lid and glue it
in place with silicone sealant. This results in a pretty good seal
around the top of the pickle pot

Great idea John! I swear that Orchid members are the most creative
and ingenious people. Always good for inspiration.

Thanks,
Jamie

I have had the same problem using a Little Dipper Crock pot. Hot
or cold, the white crystalline scale creeps out from around the lid
and ends up on the bench top

So that’s what’s happening. It’s creeping out. Very creepy. Ok, I’ve
got silicone sealant but no aquarium tubing. Off to the pet shop.

Thanks.
Michele
MikiCat Designs
www.mikicatdesigns.com