User manuals for jewelry equipment

Why is it that we sometimes save or appropriate funds for a new
piece of equipment that we dream of owning, only to receive it with
an instruction manual that would fit on the back of a matchbook? It’s
kinda like, “thanks for the purchase, good luck!”

I was in the scientific instrumentation business for a few decades
and our manuals were 6 inches thick for a pH meter! What is it? Do
the manufacturers of Jewelers equipment expect us to know how
everything in the universe operates? My last purchase of what I
consider a major aquisition had an instruction manual ! I was
elated! A manual? wow! but it was in German! Usually it’s just an
invoice in that box! Am I alone on this? Even something as simple as
a new quick release hand piece had no instructions… Like service,
or flip the collet around or how to clear a bur jam would have been
helpful…Instead, I have to figure these things out…usually
after I have to buy replacement parts for the tool I just broke
trying to “Figure it out”…

Chip

Just adding to the lack of instructions mentioned in the previous
note…

My peeve in this regard is when you have a manual for something
intricate that tells what each button, switch, lever, etc. does, but
says nothing about how to use them in an integrated manner to achieve
some particular task. I find this most rampant in software manuals.

Mike DeBurgh, GJG
Henderson, NV

My peeve in this regard is when you have a manual for something
intricate that tells what each button, switch, lever, etc. does,
but says nothing about how to use them in an integrated manner

Oh, peeves! Mine is a picture in a manual that shows a part, button
or control so close up that I can’t devine where on the thing it is–
I need a wider view for context. This is most common with something
large, like a car, but I just had this problem with a bandsaw I was
trying to assemble.

Noel

p.s. I LOVE my new cheapo bandsaw! Man, it helps to be working with
the right tool!!!

I have bought for one of my clients two years ago a pen plating
station from Rio Grande. The best choice! Service from Rio was
excellent and I have some rough nights translatind 16 pages of
instructions in romanian for my client to understand it. I have made
the same aquisition two weeks ago and oday I have cleared the item
from customs. Imagine my face when I have presented the item to the
new client, with a leaflet smaller than an A5 piece of paper folded
in two with “instructions”.

I think we should blame it on the crysis…[?]

Good point for me that I have kept an electronic back-up of my
translations…[?]

Adrian