Re: [Orchid] Cutting Ivory

Katherine Palochak Sunday, May 03, 2009

>     all you who cut elk's teeth-- what do you cut/carve them into?

    One very talented bench jeweler I know took a whole tooth, with the
    root, and carved a miniature diorama. A beautiful lady, sitting by a
    pool, tree fronds surrounding her and the pool, reaching out to a
    lotus flower, which had a tiny little diamond in the center. The far
    background was removed, so the lady and tree fronds stood out very
    well. Otherwise he set teeny diamonds for someone's initials in the
    cap.

    If you want to try your hand at carving, get some beef bone treats
    for dogs. Already sliced and bleached. Polishes up to a high shine.
    Wear a good mask and ventilate. The stuff floats around forever.