Suitable power saw

I’ve been “lurking” for about a year. My interest is in small-scale
metalworking, not necessarily jewelry. My problem is this: I am
taking a metal working class at the local University, and we are
using hand jewelers saws with 0 and 00 blades to cut out designs in
copper and silver. However, I have torn my right bicep tendon and
possibly damaged the rotator cuff as well, which makes it very
painful to use the saw (I am extremely right-handed). Does anyone
know of a suitable power tool to take the place of the jeweler’s saw?

All suggestions appreciated.

Michael Rudahl
Albuquerque, NM

Lee Marshall’s Knew Concept saw is exactly what you are looking for.
http://store.knewconcepts.com/new-concept-electric-saw.html

Chris

Michael,

I’ve looked into this a little and there are several woodworking
scroll saws out there that would be suitable. Without mentioning
brand names as they may not be common between countries, look for
saws that will accept un-pinned blades - this allows for finer
blades that would normally be used in woodwork, and also look for a
machine that has variable speed - right down to very low speeds.
Something else which you may find useful is a quick change feature
that will allow several blades to be ready for use in case of
breakage. This will cost extra but I think would be an ultimate time
saver. This should set you back around A$750- (probably US$500- or
less).

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Roger

MicroMark sells a jigsaw especially for light metalwork. Takes
jewelers saw blades and works fairly well.

RC

Hi Michael,

Browse our site. I may have a few options for you.

Mark
www.ToolsForJewels.com

However, I have torn my right bicep tendon and possibly damaged the
rotator cuff as well, which makes it very painful to use the saw (I
am extremely right-handed). Does anyone know of a suitable power
tool to take the place of the jeweler's saw?

There is only one, the Knew Concept Saw by Lee Marshall.

For other applications, you could have dies made and stamp things
out with the hydraulic press.

Elaine
http://www.CreativeTextureTools.com

Hi Michael,

Micro-mark (800-225-1066) makes a electric jewelers saw its 154.95
take all regular jewelers blades. I have nerve damage in both hands
so, I spent days research electric saws this was hands down the best
I could find with out needing a home loan to pay for it. Still
saving my pennies so I can pick up one to.

Good luck
Jen

Hi Michael:

Let me second Elaine’s recommendation of Lee Marshall’s KnewConcept
saw. It’s the only saw that was designed from the ground up to be a
powered jeweler’s saw, not a tweaked woodworker’s saw. I’ve used
some very nice jigsaws with jeweler’s saw blades in them. They’re not
even close. Lee’s saw has two major advantages:

(A) It takes much longer strokes than jigsaws do, so it uses the
entire blade length, instead of just just jackrabbiting up and down
and only using the middle inch or two of the blade.

(B) If fails safe. If you break a blade, the entire clamp mechanism
stops moving, so you don’t have any risk of the broken bits jabbing
into your fingers several times in the second or two before you can
get them out of the way.

Take a look at his store,
http://store.knewconcepts.com/new-concept-electric-saw.html

The only drawback to Lee’s saw is the price: $1900 USD.

Usual disclaimers apply: no interest other than seeing a friend
prosper.

Regards,
Brian Meek.

I've looked into this a little and there are several woodworking
scroll saws out there that would be suitable.

I have found the wood working saws to be a poor choice. Sure they
will cut but the stroke on them is only about 0.75 inches. This
results in rapid blade wear. A good one with adequate speed control
and power will be in the $750 range as Roger says. If you are going
to spend this much I think you should seriously look at the knew
concept saw, sure it is quite a bit more money but it is designed
from the ground up as a powered jewelers saw.

James Binnion
James Binnion Metal Arts

Hi…May I suggest that yoiu take a look at knewconcepts.com to see
a video that shows the unique features of the Knew Concepts saw? It
is the only saw specifically designed for the jeweler/metalsmith.

Lee Marshall

James

A good one with adequate speed control and power will be in the
$750 range as Roger says. If you are going to spend this much I
think you should seriously look at the knew concept saw, sure it is
quite a bit more money but it is designed from the ground up as a
powered jewelers saw.

It would be great to have the saw designed for the purpose -
unfortunately this is not possible for all.

You forgot to mention that the $750- is in Australian currency
equating to around US$450- to $500-. The New Concept saw at US$1900-
would roughly be A$3200- at a good exchange rate - a bit of
difference. Oh to be back with near parity exchange rates again!!

Roger