[UK Source] Ferric nitrate

Does anybody in the UK know where I can buy ferric nitrate? I’d
really love to have a go at etching silver but can’t find a supplier
of ferric nitrate. Thanks in advance.

Helen
UK
http://www.hillsgems.co.uk

Helen,

I don’t know where exactly in UK you might be able to buy ferric
nitrate, but here I find it at Radio Shack Electronics stores and
other specialty electronic stores. They use it for etching printed
circuit boards. Perhaps you might find some if you can find one of
those stores. Ask for PC board etching liquid. Sometimes it comes as
a kit for making you own printed circuit board.

Ken Moore
www.kenworx.com

Hi Helen,

You can get it from Vitrum Signum in London
http://www.vitrumsignum.com

Tom Lundsten

Helen - I found Ferric nitrate here in the UK at Mega-UK
megauk.com and search for ferric nitrate, which is what I did.

Hope this helps!
Sally

Does anybody in the UK know where I can buy ferric nitrate?

Try a laborotory supplier or a dental supplier. There are also
several suppliers listed in the archives, and even though I think
they’re all U.S. based, it might be worthwhile contacting them to
see if they can recommend somebody in your area.

Hi Ken,

I’ve tried those stores but they only carried ferric chloride
unfortunately. I think I’ll have to email some of the bigger
chemical companies and see if they’ll sell to me rather than just
to industry. Thanks for the advice though.

Helen
UK

Hi Helen - have you tried contacting HS Walsh? They carry nitric
acid (synonym for ferric nitrate I believe)

http://www.hswalsh.com/Nitric_Acid_70_142_sg_.aspx?i=T97008&t=158

they won’t send it, you have to collect…

hi Helen, you can find ferric nitrate at www.vitrumsignum.com they
are in north chingford.

regards Irma.

Hi Sophie,

Nitric acid and ferric nitrate are different chemicals, although
very similar in their chemistry. Nitric acid has the formula HNO3
and ferric nitrate has the formula Fe(NO3)3-9H2O. Ferric nitrate is
basically iron treated with nitric acid. They are both very strong
oxidizing agents and can both be used to etch silver.

I’ve had two recommendations for companies who sell ferric nitrate
for use in electronics and enameling and it appears that you can buy
it online and they’ll send it through the post. The nitric acid from
HS Walsh is better value for money but I don’t live close enough to
pick it up unfortunately. I may consider picking some up when down
in Birmingham for the trade show in September. I can try the ferric
nitrate in the meantime and see if I’m into it enough to buy the
nitric acid later.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Helen
UK

Yes I use it regularly. I buy this one, from this company… (iron
nitrate is the same as ferric nitrate)

http://www.eurolabsupplies.co.uk

It looks abit like granulated sugar with a lilac(ish) tinge. I have
used this company a fair bit and have found them really reliable and
they deliver. Their knowledge of chemical applications with metals is
very poor though so don’t expect any expert advice whatsoever, they
are sales people not chemists! You will need to send them an email
explaining how you intend to use it before they will sell any to you,
something to do with checking you aren’t planning to make a bomb or
something!?!?

Have fun
Ali
Sheffield UK

Hi Ali,

Thanks very much for the recommendation. I went to the website and
searched both ferric nitrate and iron nitrate and no results came
back - they seem to have decided they don’t sell it today! :wink:

I’ll send them an email and ask anyway, so thanks for the link.

Helen
UK

Hi again Helen -

Thanks very much for the recommendation. I went to the website and
searched both ferric nitrate and iron nitrate and no results came
back - they seem to have decided they don't sell it today! ;-)

I don’t know whether you saw my earlier reply a few days ago now
about ferric nitrate here in the UK, but I’ve just checked with the
megauk.com site I suggested, searching for ferric nitrate, and up it
came - ferric nitrate etchant for silver, 1 litre, 17.50 GBP. Which,
as I say, is how I bought mine.

Again, I hope this helps.

Sally

Hi Helen

You need to search for ‘iron (iii) nitrate’ and then it will give you
a choice of two sizes… sorry!

Ali

You can make your own by reacting some form of iron in Nitric acid.
We used to buy ferric nitrate for patination our bronze sculptures
but we now make it as the colors are deeper and much richer.
Different types of iron/steel give different colors. Also rusted
steel/iron makes for VERY different coloration. Using a pyrex coffee
pot we pour in the nitric acid then the metal (nails, saw filings,
chunks of ???) and let it react. Must be done outside as some pretty
ugly orange brown gasses are given off. Pyrex is used because the
reaction is HOT. Let the mix sit a few days with occasional mixing/
swirling, the pour off the liquid (filter if you want a clear
solution).

John Dach
http://www.mlce.net

Hi Sally,

Yes I got your recommendation and sent you a message to thank you. I
also bookmarked the web page so I can go straight to it to buy it
when ready to do so.

I went to the website and searched both ferric nitrate and iron
nitrate and no results came back - they seem to have decided they
don't sell it today! ;-)

The comment above was my reply to Ali, who recommended a chemical
supply company - but as I said, I went to that website and there
were no products under ferric nitrate or iron nitrate.

I found it successfully at Megauk, thank you.

Helen

Hi John,

You can make your own by reacting some form of iron in Nitric acid.

Yes I am aware of this and mentioned it myself a couple of days ago -
but I’d rather not buy nitric acid. I’ve had about three good
recommendations for companies that sell ferric nitrate in the UK and
they will actually send it through the post, whereas ferric nitrate
must be collected.

Your bronze patinas do sound very interesting though! Thanks for the
recommendation.

Helen
UK