Bad experience with Overnight Prints

I know many if not most of you have occasion to order postcards for
shows and mailings. This is to let you know of my recent experience
in case you want to take it into account when you next order.

I have ordered before from several on line postcard printers,
including Overnight Prints, without problem. This time, I ordered on
June 12, in plenty of time to get my postcards before my first show
on June 28. I noticed just after I paid (through PayPal) that I was
overcharged. I notified them, they said thanks we’ll take care of
it.

Then nothing. No refund-- and no postcards.

To make a LONG story short, when I had time to notice that the order
was listed as “payment not received” and contact them, one exec
apologized and said he’d expedite my shipment (nonetheless too late
for my first show)-- then he was overruled by another who told me (in
polite terms) to go, um, fly a kite, they had no responsibility to
me at all and would do nothing to “upgrade” or otherwise make up for
their screw-up. I tried to phone, but after 15 minutes of Muzak, I
gave up.

I’ve cancelled the order-- we’ll see whether I actually manage to
get my money back, and I’ve ordered from another printer.

I’ve shortened this-- the whole thing made me absolutely furious and
frustrated. May you spare yourselves the same.

Noel

Noel…sorry for you problem; however, if you contact PayPal and
file a dispute with them, you will probably get your money back.

Teddy

Noel...sorry for you problem; however, if you contact PayPal and
file a dispute with them, you will probably get your money back.

Thanks but in fact they did refund my money quite promptly, so that’s
something. After I copied them on the letter I sent here, I got a
very sincere-sounding apologetic email saying they want to “win back
my business” but not offering any ideas (discounts or anything) about
how they might do that. The letter would also have been more
convincing had someone put their name to it!

Noel

Ted,

if you contact PayPal and file a dispute with them, you will
probably get your money back.

beware if you use paypal to pay for anyting other than an Ebay
purchase. Paypal only backs or guarantees sales made through Ebay.
And the amount is limited to $2k, i believe.

I believe Noel made an online purchase and paid via paypal; she did
not “win” an auction. While some other credit card companies have
advertised they will guarantee your purchases. Paypal does not. You
can try to recover your money through their complaint system, but it
will be a moot attempt if you didn’t buy THROUGH Ebay. You can, if
you try, talk to a real person at Paypal. You can even talk to their
manager. same results.

usual disclaimers:

No affiliations, just an UNsatisfied customer with a similar
experience.

steve

Not consistent with my experience. But I also understand that
there’s a difference in having a confirmed account and not having a
confirmed account.

Lindsay Legler
Dreaming Dragon Designs

Noel,

I’m sorry you had such a bad experience with them. They’ve messed a
few small things up over the years.

The one time it was really bad- like you. Multiple shows, one
mailing… late late late and wasn’t going to make it in time for
show #1, but would for show #2. I stayed on hold (thank god for
headsets) for an hour waiting to speak the the right person. When I
got said person on the phone I let them have it. I was ready to
walk- and to talk-- and I guess he heard it in my voice.

They did that “we want to keep your business” song and dance so I
demanded a discount on my order and they agreed. I then said “what
else are you going to do for me?” He was a little taken aback by that
one but I told them that a discount won’t fix the lost business that
will come from the late postcards. He ended up doing the printing at
a 50% discount and gave me a code for 30% off my next order. I also
use their mailing services, that’s where the problem came from.

I’ve discovered you have to ask for discounts. I used to not do it,
I considered it tacky. But 9 times out of 10 they’re not going to
give it to you unless you ask!

Amery Carriere Designs
Romantic Jewelry with an Edge
www.amerycarriere.com

Hello Steve,

I agree with your statements about Paypal! Stay away.

Beware if you use paypal to pay for anything other than an Ebay
purchase. Paypal only backs or guarantees sales made through Ebay.
And the amount is limited to $2k, i believe.

My experience was based on another person using PayPal as a means to
transfer money to my account to cover purchases made for her. AFTER
I saw the funds appear in my bank account, I sent the items. About
two weeks later, PayPal said that the person had stopped payment, and
they wanted reimbursement from me! I could not convince them that I
had fulfilled my end of the transaction. PayPal was quick to hand the
matter over to a collection agency.

I’ll never use PayPal for anything again!

Judy in Kansas, where our balmy weather is changing to hot and muggy

  • just in time for an outdoor show over July 4th!!

Hi…

I’ve been watching this thread with interest. I’ve had some problems
with Paypal as well (they need not be bandied about). However,
problems with stopped payments seem to happen now and again to a
variety of people. We’ve created a policy regarding mail…all mail
will be sent via track-able method requiring a signature of some
kind. It is not handy, but when people realize that often their
precious jewelry may be sitting in a box on their front stoop or in
their mail, they are willing to endure the strain of an extra stop
and the signature. This is built into the price quoted any time
shipment is required.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Kim
Kim Paluch
http://of-the-earth.org

We've created a policy regarding mail...all mail will be sent via
track-able method requiring a signature of some kind.

The problem with this kind of thing, in my personal experience, is
that sometimes the delivery person signs the tracking form him/
herself. Happened to me - I had ordered a very expensive addition to
my computer set up, it was signature required because I did not want
it sitting out in the heat on my stoop if I wasn’t home! Never came.
Called the shipper, insisted they had a signature saying I received
it. Weird, as I had signed nothing! Then a neighbor from down the
road (I live in the country so we’re talking miles, not feet!)
showed up with my expensive computer equipment which had been left
outside HIS house - not mine! At which point I called shipper back
and explained what had happened, and that apparently their delivery
person had signed the form him/herself!

Since I did get my equipment nothing more happened on my end, but
not sure what recourse you would have in this situation.

Just a cautionary tale.

Beth in SC

I've discovered you have to ask for discounts. I used to not do
it, I considered it tacky. But 9 times out of 10 they're not going
to give it to you unless you ask!

Glad it worked out OK for you. In my case, they had said they’d
upgrade my shipping, then took it back! I cancelled the order and
ordered from another place (with rush shipping and still the same
cost as the original order) to arrive for show #2.

Funny thing-- I got my money back right away. The new order arrived
right on time, and in the same delivery-- the postcards from the
cancelled order!!! So now I have 2000 of these things, but I used a
record number of cards at Cherry Creek, so maybe that’s a blessing.

So, Noel are you going to share your Cherry Creek experience?

KPK