Submission to Smithsonian & ACCC shows

Hi Everyone:

I am wanting to submit my slides for the Smithsonian and ACCC shows.
My questions is this: should I send one slide from each of the
different series that I do (the jewelry looks very different from
the other lines) or should I just send slides from one series so the
overall “look/style” of my work looks consistent?

Your thoughts on this are appreciated.

R/Kennedi

Hi Kennedi,

I am wanting to submit my slides for the Smithsonian and ACCC
shows. My questions is this: should I send one slide from each of
the different series that I do (the jewelry looks very different
from the other lines) or should I just send slides from one series
so the overall "look/style" of my work looks consistent?

You’re best off sending a set of slides that make a unified design
statement. If that means choosing from within just one of your
series, then that’s what you need to do. However…

If the jewelry from your various series is drastically different,
you do run one risk: Some shows do check your work at the show
against the images you submitted and may blackball you in the future
if there’s too much inconsistency. Exactly how much is “too much”, I
can’t really say, but if one series is primarily fabricated metal and
another is primarily strung beads, you’re probably in trouble.

Beth
P.S. It’s ACC, not ACCC :-).

Hi

Beth makes a very good point about continuity. If you go to the show
with work that is strung and you did not show any strung material in
your slides, it could be a problem. I have to say, though, that I
have visited many shows where I have seen some blatant no-no’s in the
booth and no one seemed to mind (the person keeps getting accepted so
it must be ok). I visited a show in May and actually saw a person
exhibiting someone else’s work (really!!!).

That said, the Smithsonian and ACC shows (I have heard) have much
less tolerance for such and high standards. If my guess is correct,
you probably are not going to be submitting or showing strung beads
anyway. I’m a long way off from having the high quality needed for
these shows, but, for other shows, I have a certain strategy. First,
I always try to visit the show first to really see what’s what (this
may not be possible). Second, I try to say a very, very brief hello
to a couple of the exhibitors (to see if they’re friendly) Last, I
write to them later (never try to have long conversations at the
show…they are working) and ask what their experience is. Many are
extremely nice and very helpful. Don’t take it personally if they
can’t write back, you never know what might be the reason.

Best of luck with everything and go for it!

Kim Starbard
Unique Jewelry Designs
http://www.kstardesigns.com