Re: [Orchid] Holding metal while finishing

Marty Hykin Monday, June 02, 2008

Hello everyone,

    I want to STRONGLY second James Binnion's advice - DO NOT WEAR
    GLOVES around polishing wheels or anything else that spins rapidly,
    nor finger cots, nor anything else on your fingers. Cloth, rubber,
    leather need only a slight contact with a piece of spinning
    machinery to get caught and pulled faster than you can respond -
    goodbye finger!

    I can't believe there is so much bad advice being put out on this
    particular subject. Yes the work gets hot. Use a slower wheel. dip
    your piece in water a lot, or even accept a lower rate of production,
    Keep your fingers, Even if they're blackened and calloused, they're
    still pretty handy if they're still attached to your hand.

    Marty Hykin in Victoria - where I can type with only two fingers but
    the rest of them are still here with me if I need them for work..