A New Way to Contaminate Pickle

Hi Fellow Orchidians:

I thought I had found all the obvious ways to contaminate pickle:

(1) reaching in with steel tweezers,

(2) not getting all the steel wool off a piece before tossing it into
pickle,

(3) forgetting to remove steel binding wire,

(4) using “community” pickle in a workshop/class with very new
metalsmiths who didn’t know not to reach in with steel tweezers.

There are others I’m sure. But since there are Murphy’s in my family
tree I have found a new way (at least for me).

I use a crock pot as my pickle pot. I specifically purchased a
particular crock pot that has a “warm” setting, not just “high” and
"low". Even on this “warm” temperature setting steam builds up and
forms on the underside of the lid. I never even thought to look but
the knob of the lid is screwed on with a steel screw. Needless to
say, it rusted and must have dripped into the pickle contaminating
it.

I’m sure many with much more experience than me already knew this
about certain crock pots. I just wanted to save someone else the
aggrivation, if possible.

BTW, I used a waterproof glue to seal the screw so it won’t happen
again.

Patricia

2 Likes

Oh dear, I do remember being warned to make sure I got a crock-pot
that did not have a brown glaze, as the brown glaze contains
iron…but I might just go and make sure I don’t have rust starting
in the screw fittings on my white crockpot - just in case…!

Thanks for the warning!
:slight_smile: Kimmyg

Hello Patricia,

I suggest omitting the contamination source altogether. Check with
your local hardward store for a replacement screw made of stainless
steel.

Judy in Kansas

Patricia, Thank you! I often restrain myself from replying when I
have nothing to add but an appreciative “Thank You”. And this is to
all of you out there who put in your time and effort with only the
desire to provide helpful info. and help others who share this
exillarating art/trade/hobby.

Bring on the tips and tidbits and know that your efforts are deeply
appreciated!

Fondly,
Cyndy

1 Like
I suggest omitting the contamination source altogether. Check with
your local hardward store for a replacement screw made of
stainless steel.

The lid might also be replaced with one made completely of glass,
with no hardware at all. I see glass lids without matching containers
for sale at thrift stores quite often. All that’s needed are the
measurements of the top of the crock pot to make sure the new lid
will fit. I also found out by accident that the glass lids from large
round and oval Corningware dishes fit both the round crock pot I used
to have and the new oval one that replaced it.

Kathy Johnson
Feathered Gems Pet Jewelry

2 Likes
I might just go and make sure I don't have rust starting in the
screw fittings on my white crockpot - just in case.....!

The specialty section in the hardware departments of Home Depot, et
al, have aluminum screws which you can use to replace your ferric
metal screws.

Hi Patricia

Next time try to get a crock-pot with a glass top, no screw to worry
about.

Regards
Karen Bahr - Karen’s Artworx
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks Patricia

Would never have thought about rust and checking the screw, but did
as soon as I read your post. The screw isn’t rusting but the metal
band around the edge of the lid IS !! I’ve cleaned it and put a strip
of sticky backed foam (used for draft sealing in windows I think)
around the rim. Keeps the lid from rattling and won’t rust. I wonder
if the fumes from the pickle would eat the foam though? I’ll leave
the old pickle in for a bit and see what happens.

Sheila in Ontario Canada

And I use rubber tubing or plastic tubing around the rim as well. It helps

1 Like

Also keep in mind that, if you are using yellow ochre as a solder-stop, it is an iron based mineral and can contaminate your pickle. I use Ronda Coryell’s material, “Masking Mud”, which can be removed with hot water, but can also be placed inn pickle without contamination occurring.

2 Likes

Hmmmm. Tim and I have used the same brown glazed crock pot for decades with no problems. We use Sparex.
-Jo

1 Like

Couple ideas here:

1… If you use a crock pot (buy them cheaply from garage sale or thrift shop) you can resolve a couple issues by placing water in the crock pot and dropping in a beaker or small glass bowl with your sparex or acid solution. This keeps the acid contained nicely and the hot water surrounding it holds the temperature.

2… My favourite pickle pots now are thrift store coffee pots that are also 2 or 3 $ . You can place the acid directly into the pyrex pot or again use a beaker floating inside the hot water bath.

give it a try … bargain priced pickle units … I have been getting 1 to 3 years out of these things before replacing…

Cheers from the Left Coast

TerryV

1 Like