[Orchid] Cleaning up those Moroccan trilobites

Jack Rains Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Greetings,

    This is my very first attempt to post something - I hope I am doing
    it right. I just got back from Tucson Gem & Mineral show - wowee!! I
    had a fantastic time, shopped 'till I dropped, and came home with all
    sorts of booty. I also attended the Ganoksin banquet, but missed most
    of the Rio Catalog in Motion as I did not realize that it was 4 days
    only. Ah well, next year I shall be an old hand!!

    Among the treasures I brought back were some of those half excavated
    Moroccan trilobites, the ones with all the odd spikes and antennae,
    which I thought would be very neat to further extract from the
    bedrock. Well, I started on one this afternoon, bottom of the
    learning curve as usual, and after a bit of burring at the rock with
    my flexshaft, managed to pop off two of the projections on the
    thing. Now my $25 fossil is a $10 fossil, but that's OK. Does anyone
    have any experience with cleaning up these things, that they would be
    willing to share? I wondered about working it wet, but I think it
    would be too hard to distinguish fossil from bedrock.

    I would welcome any suggestions

Many thanks
Shelley Rains