Enameling on Bronze

Hello All,

I want to know about enameling on bronze. As far as I can gather
bronze was one of the first metals to be used for enameling. I’ve
checked the Orchid archives and googled the topic but so far I have
been unable to find any clear, experiential

If you have experience or know where I can obtain on
this technique such as bronze alloy formulations that work or do not
work or specific enamels that work or do not work - this would be
most helpful!

Regards,
Donna

Donna Hiebert Design Inc.
http://www.discoverseachange.com
http://www.donnahiebert.com

Donna, contact Either Bill Helwig, or Tom Ellis at Thompson Enamel
Co. Either one should be able to give you the you need.
Also, check the archives of Glass on Metal

as there may be some there.

Alma

With regard to enameling on bronze, I understand that the major
problem is the zinc content. Rio Grande has a casting grain called
Ancient Bronze (order #706-051), that contains no zinc. I am taking
classes now in casting and after discussion with my teacher, am
planning to order it and see if it will work with enameling. Perhaps
Rio Grande could shed some light on this since they now carry
enameling products.

Jackie Richards

I have enameled on the Rio product “Ancient Bronze” with no problems
at all.

Jon

Dear Jackie, All,

Rio Grande has a casting grain called Ancient Bronze (order
#706-051), that contains no zinc. I am taking classes now in
casting and after discussion with my teacher, am planning to order
it and see if it will work with enameling. = Perhaps Rio Grande
could shed some light on this since they now carry enameling
products

Rio’s enameling line is still relatively new and as of yet we have
not had an opportunity to test our enamels on many of the various
alloys. Ancient bronze contains 90% Copper and 10% Tin, it has no
Zinc content and that should make enameling easier. I have done some
research and the only info regarding enameling alloys with a Tin
content are also for bronze with a Zinc content, so I would say it
would be a safe bet to give it a try, keeping in mind that some
experimentation may be necessary. Follow best enameling practice for
bronze with a Zinc content and you should be fine.

Hope this helps,

Thackeray Taylor
Rio Grande Technical Support
800-545-6566
505-839-3000 ex 13903
technicalsupport@tbg.riogrande.com

Having seen quite a few pieces of Roman enamelled bronze, it does
seem to fall out in the end… Don’t know how long this
takes :wink:

Tim.

Hi, I am not an enamellist, but I will offer that I have heard from
enamellists that a an alloy that is 5% zinc/95% copper is even
better for enameling than copper. This alloy is called gilding metal
in Britain, and is very common there.

Cynthia Eid

I am reviving this guy to just check one last time: Enameling on Bronze is a thing, right? The sheet bronze at Rio has 0 zinc according to the stats at the botton of the page… if its 92% copper and 8% tin I should be good to enamel on this right?