[Source] Tap and Die Set?

Hi,

I’m in the middle prototype development for a slew of new tools and
I need to buy a Tap and Die Set. Can anyone recommend a good source?
I don’t want shrapnel quality, I’ll be using it on mild steel, and
need to do sizes from 1/32" and up.

Thanks!
Kate Wolf
In Portland, Maine hosting wicked good workshops by the bay.
www.katewolfdesigns.com www.wolftools.biz

Hi Kate…

I'm in the middle prototype development for a slew of new tools
and I need to buy a Tap and Die Set. Can anyone recommend a good
source? I don't want shrapnel quality, I'll be using it on mild
steel, and need to do sizes from 1/32" and up.

If you’re talking American National standard threaded stock and
holes…

A machine screw size set commonly runs from #0-#12… And then at
1/4" they go fractional…

The basic tapping drill for a 0-80 tap is 3/64…which is just over
the 1/32 size you mentioned…and the 0-80 threaded hole will be a
little larger than that, because the tap hole is smaller than the tap
so it has something to cut the threads out of… Another
example…the common tap drill used to make a hole for a 1/4-20 tap
is a #7 drill…which is .2010"…

Most industrial suppliers (MSC, McMaster-Carr, etc.), can fix you up
with a set like this off the shelf…

These commonly come in either carbon steel sets, or in high speed
steel sets…sometimes they’re mixed…the taps being high speed
and the dies being carbon steel…

High speed steel sets are more expensive…but last longer…

Taps and dies smaller than #0 are not common industrially, but can
be found with a little hunting I’m sure…

Uhhhhh…don’t forget a set of drill bits to make the holes for the
taps to thread…

There’s other stuff like different drills for coarse or fine thread
tap holes, tapping fluid, etc…

If I can be of any other help, shoot me an email…

Gary W. Bourbonais
A.J.P. (GIA)

Kate,

I bought a nice set from MicroMark’s catalog. The set normally runs
around $100 but they had an internet special for around $80. They are
a high quality set made in Germany if I recall correctly. I looked at
sets from “regular” tool suppliers and they were all lacking on the
small end of the spectrum.

Hope that helps!

Chris
Ketchikan, AK

PS. I have a set of your wax carving tools. They’re great! And, I’m
sorry I missed you when you taught the workshop for AK Metals
Artists Guild.

Hi Kate,

OttoFrei Watchmakers Supplies have a number of tap and die sets
here: Tap And Dies For Watchmakers Thread

Hope that helps,
Eva.
Eva Martin

Taps and dies smaller than #0 are not common industrially, but can
be found with a little hunting I'm sure......

And you’ll notice the sets come with several taps. They are the most
fragile things for the job they are doing. They take a deft touch and
a fair amount of practice. Mild steel is going to eat up taps until
you get good at it…

Small Parts in Miami does have small taps and dies.
http://www.smallparts.com

Beth Katz
Unique Solutions, Inc www.myuniquesolutions.com

I get mine from KBC tools or Brownels